Women in Church Leadership: The Gap

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
afterall

Re: Women in Church Leadership: The Gap

Post by afterall » 01 Apr 2015, 15:45

In the past, we have had Chieko Okazaki who was a convert, mother of two, educator and principal. We had had Sherri Dew, single, very successful businesswoman and author. There was also another single sister in the General Relief Society fairly recently who was single and social worker? At one point, we did have diversity among the sister leadership. I wonder why it does not seem to be happening now.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 01 Apr 2015, 16:08

afterall wrote:In the past, we have had Chieko Okazaki who was a convert, mother of two, educator and principal. We had had Sherri Dew, single, very successful businesswoman and author. There was also another single sister in the General Relief Society fairly recently who was single and social worker? At one point, we did have diversity among the sister leadership. I wonder why it does not seem to be happening now.
Yep. I remember a very jovial "plump" woman that was I think a nurse and I heard 2 or 3 of her talks and just thought, "She is GREAT! We all need to hear more from her." I can't recall what leadership role she had.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 01 Apr 2015, 16:26

In the past, we have had Chieko Okazaki who was a convert, mother of two, educator and principal. We had had Sherri Dew, single, very successful businesswoman and author. There was also another single sister in the General Relief Society fairly recently who was single and social worker? At one point, we did have diversity among the sister leadership. I wonder why it does not seem to be happening now.
Two out of three of these were Gordon B. Hinckley selections. I can't verify the 3rd but Chieko Okazaki talks about how she never met Elaine Jack until all of them had been called and were getting set apart. I don't know if it's the same for Sheri Dew and Sister Smoot, but I believe he had a strong hand in both.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 01 Apr 2015, 16:40

I'm not sure they are looking for independent, experienced, vocal, and probably more liberal women - I don't think that's what the decision makers consider when choosing auxiliary leaders.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 01 Apr 2015, 16:54

I've been waiting for a chance to share this, but didn't think it would come so soon and I'm not positive I'm ready. But I'm going to anyway.

We recently had a change in our stake RSP. One of the counselors is a professional 30-something single woman. In the discussion it was brought up how she has been serving in her ward YWP and the young women love here. A father noted how he appreciated that his daughters were exposed to a very strong and accomplished woman who was outside the normal "Molly Mormon" mold (he didn't use that term). Our SP replied that that is precisely why we need her in a stake level calling - so that all of the sisters can see her the way her ward does.

On a side note, but related, our ward RSP is an older divorced woman and also a professional. They're out there folks, I wish there were more of them in top leadership positions.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Ann

Post by Ann » 01 Apr 2015, 17:19

May I point out something obvious? Life rarely goes exactly according to plan for anyone, and we are very aware that not all women are experiencing what the proclamation describes. It is still important to understand and teach the Lord’s pattern and strive for the realization of that pattern the best we can.

Each of us has a part to play in the plan, and each of us is equally valued in the eyes of the Lord. We should remember that a loving Heavenly Father is aware of our righteous desires and will honor His promises that nothing will be withheld from those who faithfully keep their covenants. Heavenly Father has a mission and plan for each of us, but He also has His own timetable. One of the hardest challenges in this life is to have faith in the Lord’s timing. It’s a good idea to have an alternative plan in mind, which helps us to be covenant-keeping, charitable, and righteous women who build the kingdom of God no matter which way our lives go. We need to teach our daughters to aim for the ideal but plan for contingencies.
This from Sis. Oscarson's talk and I think it's the best example of what left me so uninspired, the insistence that there is An Ideal. Setting something up as ideal makes everything else non-ideal. Feels like a definite winners/losers, girls who luck out and "snag" a big breadwinner/everyone else. It's really stuck in that mindset and isn't even addressing the issue of people who are approaching marriage and careers with different sensibilities. Are two-career couples not "understanding the Lord's pattern?" I just picture the Lord being concerned with each of us as individuals much, much more than he cares about us plugging in to roles.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 01 Apr 2015, 19:00

When I first moved to Scottsdale, all 4 members of our RSP were divorced women. They were from various walks of life and in different situations. The RSP was a very accomplished business owner. Probably 70% of the RS in my (very wealthy) ward (at that time) had careers of one sort or another. Even if they didn't, they were educated and accomplished in their own right with more going on than just being Mormon.

I believe it was Barbara Thomson who was the counselor in the general presidency - I really liked her.

When my daughter (12) said another family in the ward was "more Mormon" than we are, I asked what she meant, and it boiled down to that family never talking about anything but the church. The dad said in a talk that if someone could read your status updates on FB and not know within 30 seconds that you are a Mormon, you weren't doing your duty. All I can say to that is "unfriend." What kind of boring drivel is that? I want to connect with people on a personal level, not just on the superficial level of belonging to the same church.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 01 Apr 2015, 19:08

aim for the ideal
I guess that means the next time the Olympics come around we should tell non-gold medal contenders to stay home.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 01 Apr 2015, 19:31

On one hand it makes sense for the independently wealthy to take on volunteer positions. They have the time, and they have the talent. I have a feeling that my Leader From Hell stories would be even worse if my mission president was a person who didn't have a certain amount of proven leadership experience. With that often comes a certain amount of wealth.

One of my favorite authors on leadership, Max Dupree, said that the "accretion of layers" takes time when it comes to leadership and management. I tend to agree with him -- and it takes experience to make those layers. You have to get kicked around, make mistakes, recover from humiliating feedback, etcetera. Those that recover and keep learning often become strong leaders and do generate wealth and passive income that allows them to be mission presidents of full-time church leaders.

I do see empathy as a big problem though, with their wives.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

metalrain

Post by metalrain » 01 Apr 2015, 19:40

mom3 wrote:
aim for the ideal
I guess that means the next time the Olympics come around we should tell non-gold medal contenders to stay home.
if/maybe/when i have a daughter, i'll be teaching her to aim for her ideal. whatever that looks like ;)