Online tithing pay

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
QuestionAbound

Online tithing pay

Post by QuestionAbound » 27 Mar 2015, 21:19

Am I the only one who does not like the idea that the church may soon be offering online payment of tithing?

"We now accept Visa and MasterCard" :)

DarkJedi

Re: Online tithing pay

Post by DarkJedi » 27 Mar 2015, 21:22

Maybe. I like the idea, actually. It fits in with the way I like to pay bills, and I would get rewards miles on it! :twisted:
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 27 Mar 2015, 22:20

I dont like the idea of paying with a credit card. That goes against the idea of staying out of debt and I doubt they would. The church could easily accept online payment directly from a checking account or debit card.

I like the idea of online donations. Cuts down on theft, loss, and time spent counting money.

West

Post by West » 27 Mar 2015, 23:12

I'm really terrible at remembering to bring my checkbook (yes, I still use one almost solely for this purpose), so an online system wouldn't bother me and probably would make it more likely I'd remember to pay.

I also use credit cards for those nice rewards. Also to build credit since I pay them off at the end of the month. Ah, the credit game.
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein

And God said 'Love Your Enemy,' and I obeyed him and loved myself. -Kahlil Gibran

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 28 Mar 2015, 04:08

Yes, I should have been more clear. We buy almost everything on the rewards card and pay it off each month. Like West, we use our checkbook almost exclusively for paying tithing. While I do agree that the church could use a system where you could pay from your checking account, but in the US I'm not sure debit cards without a Visa/MasterCard brand exist anymore. I could see how credit cards could become a problem for some, though, especially those who might believe it's important to pay tithing no matter what, even if they can't afford it, and thus only worsening the situation.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 28 Mar 2015, 06:12

I probably wouldn't pay online, but all of my kids would. They would love that option.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 28 Mar 2015, 08:35

It sounds like a small change from the current automatic bill pay option.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 28 Mar 2015, 09:17

We've payed directly to Salt Lake for years. Ours is actually corporate stock options that they store away and use when it comes due. I know people in my ward aren't comfortable with the online thing either. But we love it. No one knows our amount, or has personal info of ours.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

mom3

Post by mom3 » 28 Mar 2015, 10:55

Questionsabound,

I would love to hear more from you about your concerns. I jumped on with a quick answer but realized I hadn't heard your full thoughts. Please share them.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Awakening

Post by Awakening » 29 Mar 2015, 13:24

Mom - tell me more about paying directly to Salt Lake. Do you still have tithing settlement with the Bidhop?