Kirby does it again

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Kirby does it again

Post by DarkJedi » 13 Mar 2015, 12:00

He hit another one out of the park. http://www.sltrib.com/news/2279762-155/ ... -not-faith

Still, there are so many who will not understand.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Ann

Re: Kirby does it again

Post by Ann » 13 Mar 2015, 12:08

Agree, DJ. Out of the park, over the river, through the woods.....

:clap:
If you've ever expressed a different opinion about something in a church meeting, you've probably seen it yourself. Everyone sits up straight as their haunches tighten. Lips flatten as a smooth pitying look masques, "Holy s#%&@! A wolf!"

Probably because of the way I am, I've seen that look in meetings of Mormons, Catholics, Muslims, Evangelicals, Jews, and other places where the absolute "truth" of something has already been determined.

It's a look that is inevitably going to become more common as the Information Age rolls over inflexible belief. Everyone knows what happened when movable type made the Bible available to everyone.
And then, if all goes well, there's a reasonable conversation with good will towards all....
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

mom3

Post by mom3 » 13 Mar 2015, 14:08

Okay weird Karma moment here.

I just got home from the salon, get my do-done. While I am sitting in the chair, I think "Where did Kirby go?" I am not joking. I thought I will look him up when I get home, maybe he no longer has a column or got sick. "Darn, I am going to miss him."

I get home and DarkJedi brings me my answer. And a sweet one it is.

I was actually remembering a couple of previous favorites, this may top them.

Perfection. It kind of reminds me of Hawkgrrl's Trek meeting.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 14 Mar 2015, 19:58

Hey, and he writes in Utah?!

Like J Golden Kimball, everyone loves his quotes, but no one wanted to deal with him personally in their ward.

I like this guy, we don't have anyone like him in SoCal. Not that we have a lot of Mormon themed newspapers either...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 15 Mar 2015, 05:00

I'm sure there are many who would argue the Salt Lake Tribune is not a Mormon themed newspaper. They tend to take the role of anti-Deseret News. Anyway, I've been reading Kirby for years. I like most of his columns, some are really great. He is an active TR holding member of his ward (at least he tells his readers he is - I believe him).
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

NewLight

Post by NewLight » 15 Mar 2015, 07:14

Great article - I find I like much of what he writes. Only wishing now I would have been in his lesson so I could say I have a kindred spirit in my ward :o

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 17 Mar 2015, 14:16

DarkJedi wrote:I'm sure there are many who would argue the Salt Lake Tribune is not a Mormon themed newspaper.
Maybe I should have said a newspaper that comments a lot on Mormons. The LA times reports when the temple ceremony changes and mark Hoffman blows himself up, but we don't have a lot of good columns for open discourse on Mormon themes.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.