Is there such thing as a female General Authority?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Roadrunner

Re: Is there such thing as a female General Authority?

Post by Roadrunner » 09 Feb 2015, 15:29

On Own Now wrote:General Authorities are priesthood holders...
Can anyone tell me where the term General Authority is defined, besides the oblique reference to GAs and General Officers of the church? The only written source I know of is the nifty picture of GAs and GOs in the general conference session of the Ensign.

Doesn't seem like a particularly meaningful distinction to me...

Joni

Post by Joni » 09 Feb 2015, 16:20

On Own Now wrote:General Authorities are priesthood holders. Before any of you jump on me for being some kind of mysoginistic hater, let me point out that I'm not the author of the term. I'm just 'splainin' how it is. A Priest in your ward can baptize, but he has to have permission from the "local authority" (the Bishop). One Bishop's permission does not give the Priest authorization to baptize in another ward. The Priest would have to have authorization from THAT Bishop. The term General Authority simply means that they have priesthood responsibility and keys that span across ward or stake boundaries. Note that an "Area Authority" only has that ability within their designated area. So, a GA can organize (authority) a stake presidency, branch presidency, deacon's quorum presidency, anywhere in the world... (general).

I believe it is useful to be clear and exact when we use these terms. There is a very real and important question about whether women should be able to be ordained to the priesthood. There is a related question about how the Church, whether women are ordained or not, can reduce gender role designations and develop a 21st century approach to equality. These questions are both HELPED by an understanding and acknowledgement that women cannot be in general authority roles, because that fact helps beg the question. In other words, I find it useful not to get into an argument of words, which masks the argument of principles. Women cannot be general authorities. That is an elephant in the room. Seeing the elephant clearly is the best way to keep the question on everyone's mind.
I guess my question is, where is it codified that General Authority = priesthood holder? It's not laid out as one of the offices of the PH in the D&C. Is it in Handbook I, Mormon Doctrine, or is it part of the unwritten order of things?

I've always assumed that 'general officers' means those who sit on a board. So the General RSP would be a GA, and a member of the RS Board would be a General Officer. But who knows. It's one of the many terms we like to use in this church without clearly defining (officially) what they mean.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 09 Feb 2015, 17:49

It's one of the many terms we like to use in this church without clearly defining (officially) what they mean.

There is that. :P
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 09 Feb 2015, 18:09

Joni wrote:I guess my question is, where is it codified that General Authority = priesthood holder? It's not laid out as one of the offices of the PH in the D&C. Is it in Handbook I, Mormon Doctrine, or is it part of the unwritten order of things?

I've always assumed that 'general officers' means those who sit on a board. So the General RSP would be a GA, and a member of the RS Board would be a General Officer. But who knows. It's one of the many terms we like to use in this church without clearly defining (officially) what they mean.
How about lds.org: https://www.lds.org/topics/church-organ ... d?lang=eng
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -