Giving a talk on Scout Sunday - help?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Re: Giving a talk on Scout Sunday - help?

Post by hawkgrrrl » 29 Jan 2015, 17:01

Someone actually showed me in the CHI that it does mention Scout Sunday as a thing, although wearing uniforms to do sacrament was discouraged IIRC.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 29 Jan 2015, 21:23

Scout Sunday and Aaron Priesthood Commemoration Sunday seriously chap my feminist hide.

As to the OP - QuestionsAbound - I have no doubt you will do a great job. Share when you can. I love StayLDS talks.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » 29 Jan 2015, 22:09

Scouting Month
February has traditionally been designated as Scouting Month in the United States. Leaders of Scouting units chartered by the Church may plan and carry out approved activities during the week to recognize this tradition. However, in keeping with the purposes of Sabbath observance, boys and leaders do not wear their uniforms to regu- lar Sunday meetings or while administering and passing the sacrament.

https://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/e ... f?lang=eng
“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” Henry David Thoreau

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 30 Jan 2015, 09:45

One more comment about the original post. Whenever I am asked to speak on priesthood and there will be women also attending the meeting, I point out that most of what I talk about are for both men and women. Service, missionary work, not abusing authority, etc, apply pretty broadly.

Also, there's nothing inherently male about the Scout Law or Scout Oath, and non LDS Venture troops (aka crews) can have girls as part of their troops although admittedly it's a small number.

It's a stretch I know; I'm just trying to point out possible ways to broaden the applicability of a scout topic.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 30 Jan 2015, 10:48

Roadrunner wrote:One more comment about the original post. Whenever I am asked to speak on priesthood and there will be women also attending the meeting, I point out that most of what I talk about are for both men and women. Service, missionary work, not abusing authority, etc, apply pretty broadly.

Also, there's nothing inherently male about the Scout Law or Scout Oath, and non LDS Venture troops (aka crews) can have girls as part of their troops although admittedly it's a small number.

It's a stretch I know; I'm just trying to point out possible ways to broaden the applicability of a scout topic.
And I happen to know several LDS girls and a female LDS leaders are in a venture crew. Not sponsored by our church of course.

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 03 Feb 2015, 11:38

The Church model is to teach on Sunday the principles taught by Christ, the gospel principles we need to know in life to become like the savior.

Scouts is a vehicle or program that helps practice in activities during the week the gospel principles being taught on Sunday.

All that is done in scouting is to prepare these young men by giving scouting experiences, and applying the gospel principles to them, as a guide for them in their life.

We learn by doing. Scouting is about doing things.
James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
From there... you really can tie anything about Christ and teachings into Scouts, with stories, examples, plans for the young men. The congregation would see and want to support a program that has that kind of purpose behind it, rather than a program to see how many Eagle Scouts we can create.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 03 Feb 2015, 16:19

Wow, excellent examples! Sorry I came in on this one late. Sounds like you've got enough to run on, the entire scout law, motto, slogan, oath, and even outdoor code can and should be framed into a Christ centered mindset.

Scout Sunday. My only gripe is that scouts should be able to wear their uniforms to bless and pass the Sacrament. I know I'm probably a minority even here, but it's is really a cool thing to see. It's up to the Bishop, but HB2 discourages it. Hence it rarely happens.

And why don't we have Girl Scouts in the church?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 03 Feb 2015, 16:31

LDS_Scoutmaster wrote:And why don't we have Girl Scouts in the church?
Do you want the Sunday School answer, or my blunt 1 word answer: "sexism"

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 03 Feb 2015, 18:52

It could be about influence. How much influence does the church wield with the BSA? The church might want to wield similar influence at the top of Girl Scouts, at which point the lack of involvement between the two groups may be desired by both parties.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 03 Feb 2015, 19:26

LookingHard wrote:
Do you want the Sunday School answer, or my blunt 1 word answer: "sexism"
Because BSA creates self sufficient men who are conformists. GSA creates lesbians who self-perform abortions. This is nearly the exact answer I got when I asked this question. All my friends were girl scouts.