14 Fundamentals of Falsifying the Prophet

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: 14 Fundamentals of Falsifying the Prophet

Post by Curt Sunshine » 23 Jan 2015, 16:47

It's cool, university. I understand and respect that.

I am the resident parser, so I always look closely at the actual words of something and try hard to read carefully with an eye to what only the words themselves say. It comes naturally, but it also is due to being told I've said certain things that I simply haven't said. That is incredibly frustrating, so my natural tendency has been sharpened, as a result.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Re: 14 Fundamentals of Falsifying the Prophet

Post by hawkgrrrl » 23 Jan 2015, 18:47

IMO, the individual adaptation clauses that exist are evidence that the brethren were not in lock step 100% in the document, that they acknowledged that there are some differences of opinion about how families work, that some families can't do it the way they are prescribing, etc. However, it does make it sound (IMO wrongly) that this is the "ideal" and anything else is a compromise. IMO, this ignores our economy, the last 40 years of history, and the way agency works in marriage. Marriage is voluntary (and that is significant because it was far less voluntary when the Q12 got married - divorce laws have changed dramatically, for the better for those who are in bad marriages). Even if nobody suffers a disability, your spouse could cheat on you, divorce you, be abusive to you. Setting up a so-called ideal in which women are 100% financially dependent on their husbands is to set them up to be abused every which way if their husband is so inclined. Obviously the church advocates against being a bad husband, but there are abusers out there, and crap happens. Women who leave the workforce will struggle to ever make a decent living wage again. It's not easy to re-enter the workforce after several years out, far less easy if the woman did not complete her higher education. From where I'm sitting, it's recklessly bad advice to give our YW. For a church that cares so much about providential living, we fail to teach our women to truly be prepared to support themselves and their families. In many ways, I think we do better at teaching men to nurture than we do at teaching women to provide, but that's probably because the church is run by men.