14 Fundamentals of Falsifying the Prophet

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Daeruin

Re: 14 Fundamentals of Falsifying the Prophet

Post by Daeruin » 11 Jan 2015, 17:45

The blog cites D Michael Quinn regarding Pres Kimball's reaction. I wonder who Quinn cites? Does anyone have that book?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost" —Tolkien

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 11 Jan 2015, 20:10

I heard that pres kimball's son has a book that he talked about it. I have it on my to-read list.

TataniaAvalon

Post by TataniaAvalon » 12 Jan 2015, 11:45

I first heard this talk a few months ago and I wanted to weep. It was the high council and he basically repeated word for word the talk. I kept thinking ” where is our agency in all of this”. Truly this talk is one that should have been buried to never see the light of day. If it's in our current third hour manuals I'm glad I don't attend that hour. I think for TBM's it's a faith asserting talk.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 12 Jan 2015, 15:34

I noticed it is lesson 11 for priesthood. I am going to prepare well for this lesson.

Eternity4me

Post by Eternity4me » 12 Jan 2015, 16:36

I'm not sure there is much I could say or do about this lesson. I saw the blog post through a link posted on this thread (I think it was here, I am too lazy to hunt it down), and it talked about the couple that was excommunicated for apostasy because the husband has a blog post about essentially these issues. He talked about the fallibility of prophets, and the importance of following Christ vs. the prophet/church. It was a bit chilling to say the least. If a man could be ex'd (along with his wife who never posted the blog) in 40 days, what does that say about tolerance for a different view point? I think I will plan to be absent that day, it will be less painful. It appears you need to keep quiet about your doubts, or at least never put them in print. Very disappointing indeed.

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 12 Jan 2015, 17:14

So as an antidote or in preparation for the lesson, let's harvest the quotes thread for helpful quotes to use in the lesson.

I'll start:
In Answers To Gospel Questions Joseph Fielding Smith wrote: "... is doubtful that man will ever be permitted to make any instrument or ship to travel through space and visit the moon or any distant planet."

Following the Apollo moon landings and the death of President David O. McKay, President Smith became president of the Church. At a press conference following his assumption of Church leadership, he was asked by a reporter about this statement. President Smith replied:
"Well, I was wrong, wasn't I?"
http://en.fairmormon.org/Mormonism_and_ ... n_the_Moon

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 12 Jan 2015, 17:17

An a antidote to the "living prophet outranks a dead one:"
"It makes no difference what is written or about what anyone has said, if what has been said is in conflict with what the LORD has revealed, we can set it aside. My words, and the teachings of any other member of the church, high or low, if they do not square with the revelations we need not accept them. Let us have this matter clear. We have accepted the four standard works as the measuring yardsticks, or balances, by which we measure every man's doctrine."
Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, Volume 3, Page 203

https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrine-and ... r?lang=eng

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 12 Jan 2015, 17:18

At the same time it should be remembered that not every statement made by a Church leader, past or present, necessarily constitutes doctrine. It is commonly understood in the Church that a statement made by one leader on a single occasion often represents a personal, though well-considered, opinion, not meant to be official or binding for the whole Church. The Prophet Joseph Smith taught that “a prophet [is] a prophet only when he [is] acting as such.
Elder D. Todd Christofferson
http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2 ... t?lang=eng

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 12 Jan 2015, 17:34

This is so discouraging. This is probably the worst talk ever written. I'm also not looking forward to any Benson "To the Mothers In Zion" BS.

Ann

Post by Ann » 12 Jan 2015, 17:51

It was read virtually word for word in a talk in our sacrament meeting last year. (By a person I love. So, what to do....)
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11