What is the goal of the temple recommend interview?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
wayfarer

Re: What is the goal of the temple recommend interview?

Post by wayfarer » 20 Jan 2015, 19:39

Ann wrote:I'm new to being a green-typeface moderator here, but maybe this will be the end of it. I'm really angry.
is this a moderation comment? I love giving moderators a hard time. Ask ray.
Ann wrote:To the church I want to say: Write the standard questions differently if you want this information. Please don't pretend that only open advocacy endangers a person's recommend. If my unspoken thoughts and sympathies are going to keep me out of the temple, I'm afraid they will also keep me out of the chapel. Life's too short for this particular type of contentiousness.
yeahhh..... FUBAR -- "Fouled" up beyond all recognition.
"Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak." Lao Tzu.
My seat in the bloggernacle: http://wayfaringfool.blogspot.com

Ann

Post by Ann » 20 Jan 2015, 21:38

wayfarer wrote: is this a moderation comment?
No! I just meant that my reaction to this wasn't very . . . .moderate.

And maybe it doesn't matter if bishops choose not to ask even when they know that your sibling has an OW profile, for instance. But the church seems to be encouraging it. Sad, and, really, truly, not something I thought I would ever see in print.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 26 Jan 2015, 10:29

Do you oppress the hireling in his wages?
This is an interesting one. Two years ago, I did work for a month, and was not paid for it. Major problem today - people ripping off their employees.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 26 Jan 2015, 13:03

SamBee wrote:
This is an interesting one. Two years ago, I did work for a month, and was not paid for it. Major problem today - people ripping off their employees.
My first "consulting" job ended up being "pro bono" even though I didn't intend for it to be such.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 28 Jan 2015, 09:01

LookingHard wrote:
SamBee wrote:
My first "consulting" job ended up being "pro bono" even though I didn't intend for it to be such.
There's a lot of that, and many of them, internships etc turn out to be a form of exploitation.

While I'm glad that "are you honest in your business dealings?" is still in there, I wish "Do you oppress the hireling in his wages?", or something couched in more modern language was still as well.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 28 Jan 2015, 09:20

SamBee wrote:While I'm glad that "are you honest in your business dealings?" is still in there, I wish "Do you oppress the hireling in his wages?", or something couched in more modern language was still as well.
This reminds me of an experience my teen sons had a few years ago. A nearby member had asked them to come help him with some work at his house. Two of them went, they both worked several hours on various projects (mostly yard work). At the end he paid the older son more than the younger one who felt he had worked just as hard as his brother. He used the parable of the vineyard workers to "teach" why. In the years since he has asked several times if the younger one (now the only one home) will come and help him at his house - he always refuses (sometimes with an excuse, sometimes not). The guy wonders why. I told him once, but he never explained himself or apologized or tried to make it right. I fully support my son in this case and don't ever try to talk him into going. One of them learned from the parable!
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 28 Jan 2015, 10:47

DarkJedi wrote:
SamBee wrote:While I'm glad that "are you honest in your business dealings?" is still in there, I wish "Do you oppress the hireling in his wages?", or something couched in more modern language was still as well.
This reminds me of an experience my teen sons had a few years ago. A nearby member had asked them to come help him with some work at his house. Two of them went, they both worked several hours on various projects (mostly yard work). At the end he paid the older son more than the younger one who felt he had worked just as hard as his brother. He used the parable of the vineyard workers to "teach" why. In the years since he has asked several times if the younger one (now the only one home) will come and help him at his house - he always refuses (sometimes with an excuse, sometimes not). The guy wonders why. I told him once, but he never explained himself or apologized or tried to make it right. I fully support my son in this case and don't ever try to talk him into going. One of them learned from the parable!

Playing God generally has a bad outcome. Try it with your spouse and see how good it works!