Authenticity when speaking or teaching

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Re: Authenticity when speaking or teaching

Post by DarkJedi » 11 Jan 2015, 12:36

nibbler wrote:Is it a talk or a lesson? When there's no interaction it's much, much easier to take the message in the direction you want to take it. :twisted:

Hey, once I got assigned a talk on "using the BoM as a missionary tool." The assignment came at the worst possible time for me, I wasn't too keen on either. If they found a way to work the BoA in there they would have pushed three of my buttons at the same time. They had Ctrl and Alt down, they just needed to add the Del to those and... *poof*. ;) I ended up talking about the stories in the BoM that focus on mercy and how many people really need to hear that message.

Hopefully there's some wiggle room in there for you. Good luck.
This particular one is a talk, but I do both so the general question is applicable to both.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Cadence

Post by Cadence » 12 Jan 2015, 06:36

I couldn't so I resigned my teaching position. I kept it up for a long time but it became to ridiculous the lengths I had to go to to not offend.
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 12 Jan 2015, 09:24

I just posted an outline of the talk I gave yesterday in church. It is an example of how I approach being authentic when speaking in church.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 12 Jan 2015, 09:35

I hope this isn't off topic. Yesterday I was asked to give a talk in church. The Bishopric member is friend so I asked if I
could pick the topic. He said yes. There is a list of scriptures & topics so he will send me the list. I felt more comfortable
about accepting the assignment. For me, this is a great solution for wanting to be authentic & still willing to fulfill the
assignment. I'm sure all wards are not this willing.

MockingJay

Post by MockingJay » 13 Jan 2015, 06:35

For some reason, our bishopric recently started letting speakers pick their own topics or be assigned one. Almost all have chosen to pick their own. It's interesting what people have chosen. It's also nice that we don't have to hear 3 people speak about the same thing. It's kept things interesting.

This past Sunday for some reason, they derailed a little and asked speakers to talk on 2 GC talks. Urgggggg. SOOOO boring. :yawn: The last guy practically just read the whole talk and as of right now, I couldn't tell you which one it was (not one of the ones I found controversial.) Hope they go back to letting speakers choose next week.

As far as being authentic when I speak, I've found that almost all principles have some wiggle room. Sometimes I've even given the assigned topic two sentences and then gone off to talk about something else. Since you get your topic from the SP DJ, that's probably harder to do.