Age of Faith Crisis

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Awakening

Re: Age of Faith Crisis

Post by Awakening » 21 Dec 2014, 09:46

early 50's

Cadence

Post by Cadence » 22 Dec 2014, 22:28

I had blips along the way but when I hit 50 I went overboard. Mostly because I had easy access to information that lead me to conclude it is all made up.

I am not transitioning or anything. I just take a day at a time a see where it leads. I figure men have been chasing God for a long time with little substantive success. It seems unlikely I am so special as to get the inside scoop on what God wants short term. I no longer ask.
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson

FaithfulSkeptic

Post by FaithfulSkeptic » 23 Dec 2014, 10:37

Mine started at 19, when I received my endowment and went on a mission. I struggled for a few years, but was able to put most of my concerns "on the shelf" when I got married until my mid-40s, when my FC kicked in to high gear again. I'm in the depths of it right now, just hoping I can find my way through it.
I know of no sign on the doors of our meetinghouses that says, “Your testimony must be this tall to enter.” Dieter F. Uchtdorf, October 2014

hope

Post by hope » 24 Dec 2014, 04:43

I refer to it now as a Faith Awakening.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 24 Dec 2014, 04:58

I like that phrase - "faith awakening." In my case it's a good description, although I didn't realize what was happening in the beginning when it was an emotional crisis.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

West

Post by West » 25 Dec 2014, 17:28

I thought I participated in this thread already, but I guess I didn't. ^^' Mine started mid-twenties and was triggered by preparing to go on a mission -- which I'm still planning on doing after much thought and consideration. I'll let y'all know how it goes. :)
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein

And God said 'Love Your Enemy,' and I obeyed him and loved myself. -Kahlil Gibran

Oneofmany

Post by Oneofmany » 27 Dec 2014, 00:34

I had small blips, put questions on a "shelf" because I honestly didn't care through out life, but none hit me strong until late 30s...
Mostly what caused it was talking to a couple of people in a relatively short period of time who I thought "knew" what they believed and they came to me because they thought I "knew", kind of ironic now that I think about it.

intothelight

Post by intothelight » 27 Dec 2014, 00:56

In my early 20s, when a bishop trying his best though making a mistake while wielding the mantle of his office smashed the glass bubble I had built up with a giant sledgehammer. The feelings of guilt, shame, and confusion richoched inside of me until my late 20s when realized that the broken glass was destroying my spiritual feet.

I can't blame the church entirely - (although it's a whale of a lot of fun to try :) ) - I assisted in the creation of the bubble. Once I get a pair of spiritual boots, maybe God's path for me will return me to broken glass to clean it up. But, for now, I'm walking around in a few other mist-free paths. And God has a lot of work going on there too.

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 27 Dec 2014, 01:13

Had a brief questioning blip at 16 or 17 and then mid 30s for the full transition. My wife was the same. Most of the people I know (in "real life") who have gone through this have been 30s or 40s. A few in their 20s.

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 07 Jan 2015, 14:52

45 for me, my current age. It has always been a challenge for me to be a member barring a 4 year period of mission and marriage. My crisis started from exhaustion in trying to force myself to be orthodox when I'm not, for the past year at the request of the Bishop for my most recent calling as a counselor (a challenging job when you work rotating shifts and rotating days off). Its not enough to do the right thing or believe the right thing (according to the church) but it has to be for the right reason and and from my own motivation.

It was hard to come to terms with but I did a lot because it was expected of me as a good member and not because I wanted to. I was reluctant inside on many accounts and kept participating to that extent to seek approval from others. Its not the right reason to do the right thing. Throw in a batch of Historical Essays and my landslide concerns on church history and its my perfect storm.

Strangely, over the past year, I feel that I have grown closer to the Savior as I have grown further from the Church.