Age of Faith Crisis

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SMiLe

Re: Age of Faith Crisis

Post by SMiLe » 09 Dec 2014, 10:38

Started in earnest in my late 30's and continues on into my 40's. When I first read the thread title, I thought you were asking how long our FC/transition has lasted. :) I guess in my case, the answer to my own question is years and years with no end in sight...

Just A Girl

Post by Just A Girl » 09 Dec 2014, 11:15

Basically all through my later teen years, and has lasted up to where I am now, in my early twenties.
My Introduction:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6060

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. -Jimmy Dean

mom3

Post by mom3 » 09 Dec 2014, 11:25

I thought you were asking how long our FC/transition has lasted. :) I guess in my case, the answer to my own question is years and years with no end in sight...
I spoke to someone a couple of weeks ago who believes his FC/transition has lasted 26 years. For some of us these may be life time achievements.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Roy

Post by Roy » 09 Dec 2014, 12:11

mom3 wrote:For some of us these may be life time achievements.
We should get awards! :idea:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 09 Dec 2014, 12:48

I definitely feel that my faith CRISIS is over, but not the faith transition. I think that is going to take years or as mom says, the rest of my life. I don't think you can stay at the level of emotional turmoil I was at in my FC. You either have to leave or find some way to resolve it at least a bit.

But like Bill Reel mentioned the other day on Mormon discussion podcast about having a hard day now and then. I am not in a crisis, but I certainly am having a hard time the last little bit, but work and life are so busy right now I can't do much to even study it out. Just have to keep my head above water until the Christmas break comes along.

And I am glad (or am I?) that I am not the only old fart that had my FC late in life.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 09 Dec 2014, 13:55

Crises can end; transitioning, hopefully, never does.

I really do love the concept of eternal progression, since it means that nearly never-ending transitioning is built into our actual theology. Within that theology, we transition from stage to stage (at least 5-6 distinct stages) and within each stage for time and all eternity. Those who don't see and accept that are, in practical terms, not embracing Mormon theology for the much easier Protestant theology of never-ending sameness.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 09 Dec 2014, 15:27

Crisis at age 38. Still transitioning, though, and I still have "reflexes" to go back to the old days of literalism and strict interpretations of commandments.

Donna

Post by Donna » 09 Dec 2014, 19:34

My faith crisis began in my late 40's. I am still working through it.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 10 Dec 2014, 07:54

First was a commitment crisis that occurred when I was 21 -- a year after joining the church given the behavior of a stake president. What kept me going was that a lot of people (good people) disagreed with his decision (NOT related to sin, by the way). At that point I stopped viewing the institutional church and God as joined at the hip. It was the first crack in the armor.

Second was a commitment crisis that occurred when I was 31 or so -- after a church agency acted in ways I felt were in stark "violation" of principles we are taught at church,and hold dear. It confirmed my perceptions of church egocentrism I had experienced from the Stake President previously.

Third was also a commitment crises that occurred in my late 40's, again as a result of leadership behavior I found unChristlike and egocentric for the church. Again, confirmed the last two leadership experiences.

This led to an eventual faith crisis where I question a lot about the church now, but resolve to say connected and on the books, maybe even as a TR holder some day again. Part of me is pleased I no longer believe parts of it are true, as it releases me from a lot of drudgery that brought me little joy. And joy is the object and design of our existence...
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 10 Dec 2014, 08:37

LookingHard wrote:I definitely feel that my faith CRISIS is over, but not the faith transition. I think that is going to take years or as mom says, the rest of my life. I don't think you can stay at the level of emotional turmoil I was at in my FC. You either have to leave or find some way to resolve it at least a bit.

But like Bill Reel mentioned the other day on Mormon discussion podcast about having a hard day now and then. I am not in a crisis, but I certainly am having a hard time the last little bit, but work and life are so busy right now I can't do much to even study it out. Just have to keep my head above water until the Christmas break comes along.

And I am glad (or am I?) that I am not the only old fart that had my FC late in life.
This is pretty much my state as well - I am not in crisis, although I do have doubts and questions and I do have good days and bad days. My faith is still transitioning and evolving and I don't see an end to that. As Ray points out, maybe that's the way it's supposed to be.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction