Age of Faith Crisis

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
AmyJ

Re: Age of Faith Crisis

Post by AmyJ » 25 Jan 2018, 13:14

LookingHard wrote:
12 Dec 2014, 10:55
I find it interesting how many FC's go from at least close to TBM all the way to no God within a second. I actually stopped right after the church being true, but still no issue of if there was a God. I am not sure if that is because I live out in the mission field and have meet some people that are not LDS (in fact much better than the "average" LDS member) that I absolutely want to go where they are going after this life is over.

I am not trying to say anything less of those that also questioned if there was a God or not. I am more wondering why I didn't and others did. I guess that is a question I will have to put on the shelf. Hey - where did my shelf go? Oh, that is right, it broke and I have not gotten around to fixing it. :-)
My actual "crisis" was maybe 30 minutes? I went from realizing that I was very likely perceiving EVERYTHING incorrectly/incompletely due to my biological brain wiring - so that meant everything I thought I knew about anything I considered permanent (communication, God, the church, myself, the nature of existence, motherhood/parenting, etc) was now likely unreliable and flawed because my perception was inherently unreliable and flawed.
When I realized I was going to be rebuilding everything from the ground up, I thought "going to church is now going to be intolerable - but I am not ready to give it up right now because of my husband and my family - he is going to be SO MAD if I reject everything without trying to fix it/figure it out, I wonder if I can find some tips on how to deal with all this?" 20 keystrokes later, I found staylds.com and the rest is history... :crazy:

Since then, I have learned a few things.
  • I may perceive everything incompletely and have some ineffective or incorrect viewpoints - but now I know that so I can try to compensate.. and guess what- so does everyone else - and they take it less seriously than I do...
  • That I am still the same crazy person I have always been - I just managed to hit a developmental milestone in a unique way - which if you know me is fairly typical Amy J.
  • That part of a faith/identity transition is learning what and who is important you, and what you are going to do (if anything) about it.
  • That your faith narrative is a re-evaluating/re-defining of your relationship with God and His relationship with you.
I admit to being 28 years old... with experience. Surveys usually categorize me as between 30 and 45 though for some reason.

NOTE: Lived in California for 20+ years of my life and had a healthy skeptism (ok borderline disdain) for the Utah corridor once I was out of the MTC. I think there are good people in Utah as well as good people everywhere else, and based on who I am and the people I met who were the happiest in Utah, it sounded like it wouldn't be a good fit for me.
Last edited by AmyJ on 26 Jan 2018, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 25 Jan 2018, 19:25

The "Is God Real?" crisis happened for me when I was 19. The doubts lasted for about 8 months and the crisis itself was catalyzed by online debates with a hardline atheist, mostly via PMs. I put a lot on my shelf during that time, even including LGBT issues.

My "Is the church true?" crisis hit me about 5 months ago, shortly before my 25th birthday. In some ways it was sudden when it hit me that my mental/spiritual model was unreliable and I couldn't just believe what I grew up to believe without first examining it. Or maybe it was trying to reconcile my heterodoxy. My brain was totally hyperactive while I was trying to sleep.

To be fair, there was a lot of redpilling leading up to it from the bingo sheet to modesty and nudism. I began to redpill nudity/modesty from hearing something from an artist in the game dev lab at BYU that bikinis on the figure-drawing models were actually more sexual than just using nudes. I've been trying lately to expunge the faulty ideas of modesty from my mind, like how shoulders, thighs, and midriffs are not inherently sexual. Though I'm probably being more obsessive about it now. :lol:

Oh, the lengths I go to to justify my opinions.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Sometimes our journeys take us to unexpected places. That is a truly beautiful thing.

ConfusedMolly

Post by ConfusedMolly » 25 Jan 2018, 22:10

I was 23 when it kind of started "crumbling" for me and 28 when it really fell apart.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » 26 Jan 2018, 07:55

Mine was mid 50s but I believe it is where you live also because someone who lives outside the mormon corridor seems to occur much later in life like myself because I did not join the church until I was 21.