Validating Story

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
intothelight

Validating Story

Post by intothelight » 04 Dec 2014, 00:31

I hope it's not illegal to post links to videos on here. But, I found this one immensely helpful. Not affiliated with him in any way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm647n1360A

Yes, you have to get past the beginning commentary by the interviewer. But, this man's experience seems to confirm everything that my heart tells me is true.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Validating Story

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Dec 2014, 09:08

[Admin Note]: Videos are fine. It's only truly anti-Mormon links that are forbidden by the rules.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Daeruin

Post by Daeruin » 04 Dec 2014, 20:56

I would appreciate a brief description of what the video is. I never click on links that aren't described. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat!
"Not all those who wander are lost" —Tolkien

Eternity4me

Post by Eternity4me » 04 Dec 2014, 21:48

The video is an interview of an atheist and his near death experience. Other than the fact that it is very long, it is very interesting. Well worth a view.

intothelight

Post by intothelight » 04 Dec 2014, 23:19

I read/have read a lot of near death experiences. Lots of them are good. Some are not so great. The ones I love the most are the ones that talk about what Jesus is like. This one goes into that and to me shows the mercy and love and nature of Jesus in a way that none other has. In a world that believes Jesus damns people to hell, hates us, or is the one that just lets bad things happen without any emotion, this video clarifies it all. Yes, it is long, but worth it in every way. At least it was for me.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 05 Dec 2014, 05:30

I tried to watch it, but ran out of time. Parts of it were problematic for me. For example, he criticized his pre-death experience self as looking for validation in the form of contributions to society. I don't see that form of purpose in life as bad -- it's healthy. Jesus said that trees should bear fruit -- and that "by their fruits ye shall know them" I think achievement is important. While it may not be healthy for achievement to be a an undue source of validation, it is certainly healthy to value achievement that benefits society.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

MockingJay

Post by MockingJay » 05 Dec 2014, 10:07

Thanks for posting this, ITL. As you probably know from my recent post, I recently lost me father. I used to study and read about NDE's because I found them fascinating, but I had stopped until recently. This is one of the most fascinating I've seen and it's been very helpful to me. Wanting to help others feel loved has always been important to me, and I love how he described this in his experince. His story reminds me of "A Christmas Carol." I'm going to watch the Patrick Stewart version today. :thumbup:

My father is one of those people who probably got a free pass to heaven. His whole life was about serving and loving others. I never heard him criticise or say unkind things about anyone. He accepted everyone and didn't judge, even when people made that VERY difficult. This story reminds me to renew my efforts to be more like him.

I thought it was intersting that even though some of the things he experienced weren't like LDS doctrine, many of them were surprisingly close.

SD said
he criticized his pre-death experience self as looking for validation in the form of contributions to society. I don't see that form of purpose in life as bad -- it's healthy. Jesus said that trees should bear fruit -- and that "by their fruits ye shall know them" I think achievement is important. While it may not be healthy for achievement to be a an undue source of validation, it is certainly healthy to value achievement that benefits society.
I interpreted this a little differently. I thought he was saying that striving for success and achievement simply for our own aggrandizement is wrong. I don't think he was saying that achievement in and of itself is wrong. From many of your posts I can tell that you're all about serving and lifting others, even if you do get a little frustrated sometimes. If you have professional success in the process, I don't think there's anytihng wrong with that. It's obviously not your motive.

SunbeltRed

Post by SunbeltRed » 06 Dec 2014, 07:57

It was a very interesting interview.

But how could he have asked all those questions and no one mentioned that he should join the "only" true church (the LDS church) <sarcasm>?

He did an interview with a site called Skeptiko ( I don't know much about the site but I thought his interview there was pretty interesting) - http://www.skeptiko.com/254-howard-storm-transformed/

Thanks for posting.

Eternity4me

Post by Eternity4me » 06 Dec 2014, 11:37

SilentDawning perhaps you should listen further to the interview. The man said that he put his career and service to others above his family. That is a problem no matter where you are spending your time, inside the church or in the community. Another time he says that he basically judges himself. It was he who judged himself harshly for that choice, not God. I think that is pretty profound really. We are often our harshest critics.

I imagine for each of us this death experience will be very personal. We will experience those things that we personally need to experience, and that varies from person to person, just as our strengths and weaknesses vary. As I research more and ore of these NDE's I discover that there is nothing that substantially deviates from what I have been taught. They help my faith. The first NDE I ever read was that of the niece of Lorenzo Snow (I think that was the relationship). She was ill and he was at a church meeting and couldn't get there to give her a blessing. She passed while they waited. When he finally made it to the house she was gone, but he blessed her to come back to life and she did. She goes on to tell her story of what she experienced while she was dead. The story is printed in a book called "If a Man Die" printed by Bookcraft many years ago.

afterall

Post by afterall » 06 Dec 2014, 20:07

intothe light: Thank you so much for posting this! I had not been aware of this man and his experience. Will be sharing this with those closest to me.