Moderation and Me

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
LookingHard

Re: Moderation and Me

Post by LookingHard » 21 Nov 2014, 04:52

alltruth wrote:As I read your post I found myself thinking "I bet this is how the leadership of the church feels, too." Leading any organization is challenging, and I thank you for your efforts here. I hope you can find a way to resolve the tension you feel about your dual roles here on the forum...
True. I have found one thing that tempers my frustration with leaders is to put myself in their shoes. I appreciate just how much time they put in. This helps MOST of the time, but sometimes it does not when I think, "I would NEVER do that!" Which might be true, but I might do some other different bone-headed action.

afterall

Post by afterall » 21 Nov 2014, 21:19

I can only pop in every few days here and just saw this thread. Ray, you are one of the most balanced moderators I have observed on the sites I read. I have had no trouble distinguishing between you and when you have to put the moderator hat on. I am sorry that we, collectively, have not been better about expressing our gratitude for your many hours of service reading all these threads and maintaining the mission statement. You fulfill a major role here and have probably helped many more people than you will ever know. Since I was a lurker for years, I know there have to be many more lurkers just like me! A big thank you to you and all the other moderators, Heber13 and all others! I feel this is very important work here!

Ann

Post by Ann » 22 Nov 2014, 10:06

afterall wrote:I can only pop in every few days here and just saw this thread. Ray, you are one of the most balanced moderators I have observed on the sites I read. I have had no trouble distinguishing between you and when you have to put the moderator hat on. I am sorry that we, collectively, have not been better about expressing our gratitude for your many hours of service reading all these threads and maintaining the mission statement. You fulfill a major role here and have probably helped many more people than you will ever know. Since I was a lurker for years, I know there have to be many more lurkers just like me! A big thank you to you and all the other moderators, Heber13 and all others! I feel this is very important work here!
+1

Thank you, Ray, and all the others.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 10 May 2015, 16:53

Given what has happened here in the past few days, I thought I should bump up this thread from late last year.

Many or most of you have read it previously, but for all of you who are new participants or lurkers, I hope it helps explain how our moderation works - and helps anyone who is concerned about being moderated. It really does happen relatively rarely, overall. It tends to go in flurries and is focused on one or two people at any given time.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

cwald

Post by cwald » 10 May 2015, 18:47

Okay.

I'll leave.

Peace friends. And that includes you Ray.

Out.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 10 May 2015, 19:37

Thank you, friend. Believe it or not, my feelings for you have not changed.

Go with the gods. Find peace.

May there be a road.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

amateurparent

Post by amateurparent » 10 May 2015, 20:20

Ray:

Thank you for sharing a little bit about yourself. I appreciate your candor. Your efforts and the efforts of the other moderators are appreciated.

Sincerely,

Amateur Parent
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow » 10 May 2015, 20:26

Ray,
Thanks for what you do. I have to say that I typically have seen things through the eyes of those being moderated, so there have been times when I've felt like the moderation was unwarranted. However, at the same time, I recognize that you are in a VERY difficult position. You're trying to find a balance between keeping the forum open to different ideas and perspectives, from a huge range of people and backgrounds, while at the same time you're trying to ensure that the site stays inline with the mission that it is intended for. I don't envy the tightrope act that you have to perform. I think we all appreciate the site, and recognize the amount of time that you put into it, even if we might see things from a different perspective. Thanks! :thumbup:
My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6139

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 11 May 2015, 10:11

Holy Cow wrote:Ray,
Thanks for what you do. ... You're trying to find a balance between keeping the forum open to different ideas and perspectives, from a huge range of people and backgrounds, while at the same time you're trying to ensure that the site stays inline with the mission that it is intended for. I don't envy the tightrope act that you have to perform. ...even if we might see things from a different perspective. Thanks! :thumbup:
Holy Cow...that is very important to recognize and thanks for sharing.

There is no manual on moderating...it is judgment of the moderators. But Ray especially has been very consistent over time, which is what keeps the site inline with it's purpose, and avoids getting into negativity. I don't think that equates to polyanna or naive rhetoric where we aren't allowed to express feelings. Just that we should all be responsible with how we express them, or not express them.

Being consistent over time is not easy. Ray does it well.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 30 Jul 2017, 13:23

I am bumping this up for new participants to read, so everyone understands how and why we moderate here - and my role throughout the years. If you haven't read this post and thread, please do so.

I want to add one short note:

We don't moderate much, but some of it is due to the numerous readers we have who never join officially. Many of them are struggling in some way and simply don't want to comment, but many of them are more traditional / orthodox members who are trying sincerely to understand those who struggle. We have to keep our entire readership in mind as we moderate, even though we don't moderate much, overall.

Anyway, don't stop with that summary. Please read the whole thing.