Stay LDS or Change LDS???

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Tom Haws

Re: Stay LDS or Change LDS???

Post by Tom Haws » 02 Aug 2009, 23:13

jmb. I'm sorry I hadn't previously read your post. You inspire me. The Wisdom of Crowds is now on my radar. Thanks.
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

George

Post by George » 03 Aug 2009, 13:46

On another thread today John Dehlin suggested that we will see within 5/10 years much more acceptance for the liberal'ites in the church. I hope so. I'm at church every week, but I also suffer CogDis as I sit and listen. I could well be in the last decade of my life, I've served in the church for fifty years. For those of you who are younger, I offer a challenge. Regardless of your age, if you continue in the Gospel net, remember (note in your wallet, purse?) in 2019, to look back at today, and ask yourself if conditions have really changed. If they have, rejoice! If they have not, consider what enduring to the end brings to your table. "I add no more, God bless you all..." the King Follett(?) address.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 03 Aug 2009, 15:45

I agree, ironically, with george's last comment - but I would add something:

If you haven't grown in ten years of association in the Church, the "blame" probably is at least 50/50. I believe strongly that there is AT LEAST as much opportunity for growth in all ways in the LDS Church as there is in ANY other church on earth. It's harder for some than others, but it still is available for those who are dedicated to pursuing it. If that's true of Darius Gray, for example, it's true of you and me. (If you don't understand that last sentence, learn about him.)
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

George

Post by George » 03 Aug 2009, 16:27

Thanks Ray for agreeing with my last comment. I'm going to give a little testimony (I hope that's OK - I'm still new around here). What do I love about the LDS church. Service, I love that it taught me the value of service. Education, I love that it taught me the value of getting a higher education. My sweet humble parents (Native American mom) did not value education, having known only hard work. I love that the church brought me Jesus. He is center to who I am. I also love the church for helping me meet my ex-wife (ha). She was the bride of my youth and I have children & grandchildren who bless my life. There, that's about it and it's enough. "I add no more, God bless you all." Oh, thanks Brother Joe for that interesting sermon, especially "I don't blame anyone for not believing me..." King Follett Funeral Sermon,
Nauvoo, April 1844.
Last edited by George on 03 Aug 2009, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

Scott

Post by Scott » 03 Aug 2009, 16:30

After my crisis of faith, I "stayed LDS" because I thought I had to. As a skeptic, I felt trapped. I resented things that had brought me comfort and strength in the past...prayer, reading inspired works, temple attendance. I've felt alone as a "stage 4" Mormon living a "Stage 3" life. Sharing my feelings of unbelief with loved ones has really helped. This has given me the space to dig deep and find out my own truth. I StayLDS because that's my vehicle for personal change. It motivates me to pray to a god, who may or may not exist. But in the end I think I'll be a better person. Change the church?...nah. I just want to change myself.

The folks at StayLDS.com rock!

Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 03 Aug 2009, 17:29

George wrote:I love that the church brought me Jesus.
Amen, George. Amen. And that is a Happy Thought while I sit in church and look at the youth and kids.
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

jmb275

Post by jmb275 » 04 Aug 2009, 09:11

@Scott
Well said Scott. Good to have you among us!
I am like a huge, rough stone rolling down from a high mountain; and the only polishing I get is when some corner gets rubbed off by coming in contact with something else, striking with accelerated force against religious bigotry, priestcraft, lawyer-craft, doctor-craft, lying editors, suborned judges and jurors, and the authority of perjured executives, backed by mobs, blasphemers, licentious and corrupt men and women--all hell knocking off a corner here and a corner there.
- Joseph Smith, (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 304)

primarycolor

Post by primarycolor » 07 Aug 2009, 08:19

Remember that Christ said that you can't put new wine into old bottles?

It is very difficult for the Church to change in "new" ways because the bottle has been caste. When we "whine" the bottle may break.

We don't want breakage. I don't.

What bothers me, is that I can see major cracks in the bottle; have tried to have others notice; see leakage, contemplate major leakage, and have been terribly saddened at the prospect of the bottle completely breaking.

George

Post by George » 07 Aug 2009, 23:10

I also see those serious cracks and am concerned. By myself, I am powerless to attempt any repair. Indeed, such effort would be suspect. To raise an army, would be to invite real disaster. Thus I continue on the course I have for half a decade. You will always get a warm welcome and a smile, when we meet inside the burlap walls (ha). I share those things I can testify of, I take from the banquet those items I can enjoy and swallow. The church has survived many trials in its short history. It is changing. The question is, is it changing quickly enough? Time will tell.

George

Post by George » 07 Aug 2009, 23:16

jmb275 wrote:@Scott
Well said Scott. Good to have you among us!
Amen to "Well said Scott. It is good to have you among us." I recognize a kindred spirit in your path upward. It is nice having company.