Stay LDS or Change LDS???

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
just me

Re: Stay LDS or Change LDS???

Post by just me » 28 Jul 2009, 12:33

Thanks for sharing that Tom!!!
Most of us, sooner or later, find that at critical points in our lives we must strike out on our own to make a path where none exists.~Elaine Pagels

Ultimately, you are the path-the path begins and ends with you.~Stephan Bodian

He who think he knows, doesn’t know: He who knows he doesn’t know, knows.~Sanskrit proverb

primarycolor

Post by primarycolor » 28 Jul 2009, 13:20

I hope that the general authorities are browsing this site, at least a few, or Church staff. Do you think that they could be?

Do you picture leaders in the Church wanting to know what we think?

just me

Post by just me » 28 Jul 2009, 13:24

primarycolor wrote:I hope that the general authorities are browsing this site, at least a few, or Church staff. Do you think that they could be?

Do you picture leaders in the Church wanting to know what we think?
There are some claims that they read Sunstone, etc and that exmormon blogs get hits from the COB. So, I think that they do try to keep up with what people are thinking/doing/saying.
Most of us, sooner or later, find that at critical points in our lives we must strike out on our own to make a path where none exists.~Elaine Pagels

Ultimately, you are the path-the path begins and ends with you.~Stephan Bodian

He who think he knows, doesn’t know: He who knows he doesn’t know, knows.~Sanskrit proverb

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 28 Jul 2009, 14:57

I would like to StayLDS, and change my view of LDS. I don't think I am capable of changing the Church or how it does things (and don't really feel I need to)...but I don't think I can go back to what I was the last 20 years of being a serious mormon.

My view of the LDS church and its teachings is different...so I need to change how I view it, so I can stay.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

MWallace57

Post by MWallace57 » 30 Jul 2009, 08:04

I have very much wanted to remain active in my faith, but I have noticed that some members have begun to slide in areas of equality and social justice. I would have thought that the gospel of Jesus Christ would have been the ultimate model for social justice and equality, but politics has seemed to overshadow the core gospel.

If I could change one aspect of being a cultural Mormon, it would be to help members of my faith embrace social justice and equality. So far, I have failed completely.

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 30 Jul 2009, 11:34

MWallace57 wrote:If I could change one aspect of being a cultural Mormon, it would be to help members of my faith embrace social justice and equality. So far, I have failed completely.
You have not been able to change actual social justice? That's a pretty tall order.

How about just changing a few people, even a little, to help them be more compassionate towards the cause? If you are not able to do that, why not?

I can think of one instance that I got away with. To be open and honest, SSM is not something that I am passionate about either way. But I did get pretty much everyone in EQ to agree a couple of months ago, when I had the chance to teach the topic of Apostasy, that having a different view on Prop 8 does not make someone automatically an "apostate."

Did I change the whole Church? No. Did I effect the minds of a few? I am pretty sure I did.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

LadyWisdom

Post by LadyWisdom » 30 Jul 2009, 11:43

Valoel wrote: By staying, and being a part of it, I think in a small way I will be a part of change. I don't really have expectations or time tables. I hope that by staying, and encouraging other wonderful "misfits" like me to stay (that I love), we will become an influence on the overall direction.

My personal approach is to *BE* the person I wish others would be. Do I wish members were more compassionate, understanding and accepting of different views? Then I will be compassionate, understanding and accepting of views that are different than mine (which might be traditional ones), *AND* an active part of the community -- an agent of change by example, not by proclamation.
QFT! I may not be attend as often as you, but I agree with you here and thanks for being compassionate towards me. Gandhi once said, we must become the change we seek.

bridget_night

Post by bridget_night » 31 Jul 2009, 20:02

I am the only active member of the church in my immeadiate family right now. I take the good I can and leave the rest. But, I have done some real good in changes in my ward and stake in regards to loving and understanding homosexuals because of my gay son. It has made a big difference and changed how people treated gays in our area. So, I am happy for that.

Bridget

http://evergreenbooksales.com/bookstore ... ucts_id=84
Or:
http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/It ... okid=12053.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 31 Jul 2009, 22:29

@jmb said it so well, it would be hard to improve.

The magic is in staying LDS while staying my authentic self, and my personal opinion is that the more diversity in the church, the more people who are comfortable in their own skin, the better for the church.

George

Post by George » 01 Aug 2009, 09:07

There was a story printed in the Improvement Era (I know, I'm old!) many years ago. I have never forgotten it. A grandson has gone to see his aging, sick, grandfather. They have had a mellow discussion with lots of love shown and he prepares to leave. As the last moment, his grandfather pauses, makes eye contact and asks pleadingly, "Jason, is the Church still true?"

I would have answered that question much differently years ago. Today, I would rush to testify of my own love for Christ and the promises all Christians (LDS included) find in the Grace that so freely HE offers us. I struggle to stay LDS. I hope for change in the church. And more importantly, I have become that grandfather from decades ago. I may phase it a little differently, but I ask my grandchildren about their beliefs all the time. It's what grandfather's do.