The Positive

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Man in the Arena

The Positive

Post by Man in the Arena » 01 Nov 2014, 12:54

I feel I need to also share a little about why I'm grateful for the church. Both my parents came from environments that would not have predicted success in life. Mom was abused in more ways than one and my dad endured a hateful mother and other issues that faced youth in the 1970's. The church saved them, gave them purpose, and taught them how to create an awesome family... something neither had before. Things weren't perfect and all the siblings in my family have parent issues, but being a parent myself I can see that the foundation for success that I have had in my life came from their faith in the gospel (also despite issues that temper with age, they truly are good people). I am grateful to a loving and forgiving heavenly father, because no one is perfect. I am grateful for awesome youth leaders who took precious time out of their lives to serve and helped mold me and give me a set of values to guide me throughout my life.

I am grateful for the emphasis on families in the church and feel very comfortable taking my kids to church, where they have leaders that know them and care about them. I am grateful for the weekly reminder to think about God that I get by going to church and the chance to serve when I can. Through the church, I met my wife. The temple is difficult for me, but the idea that families are forever is very comforting to me and rings true in the spiritual sense. I have a rock star marriage with an awesome, intelligent, beautiful, capable, and independent woman who I love with all my heart. She is my kindred spirit and I know that I'll be with her forever.

I may struggle with everything doctrinal within the church, but I am grateful for the church and do believe in a loving heavenly father and that Jesus is my savior and redeemer. It is nice to take time to say what is going right and what you do believe every now and then. Also, I felt guilty about my earlier rant about Joseph Smith's polygamy earlier, it's all how I feel, but probably a little too open for me.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: The Positive

Post by Curt Sunshine » 01 Nov 2014, 13:02

Thanks for posting this. It is important to recognize and acknowledge the positive things in our lives.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Post by mom3 » 01 Nov 2014, 13:24

ManInTheArena - One of the reasons I bite my tongue at times and keep my distance in certain conversations isn't for my protection, but for courtesy and support of others. My husband (who is post Mo) and I have agreed since the beginning of his crisis to do this exactly for the reason you stated. We know 3 families personally who the church has been a life saver. No other answer for that. Does it make our church the one true. No, but it reminds us of the good and keeps us balanced. It does save souls. The rest is up to the next life.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 01 Nov 2014, 13:27

Man in the Arena wrote:I may struggle with everything doctrinal within the church, but I am grateful for the church and do believe in a loving heavenly father and that Jesus is my savior and redeemer.
Well said. I believe we can learn to struggle with doctrine or things at church in how the culture seems to rub us wrong, and yet recognize the good it brings in our lives.

And I think that gratitude and remembrance is helpful in us finding peace and maintaining perspective.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 01 Nov 2014, 14:25

Having been a member for all of my life (I am in my 50's) and having seen much of the good that comes in so many people's lives was a big reason why I didn't leave the church altogether during my faith crisis. I have looked back a bit and realize the privilege/blessing it is for me to be at a point where I can knit pick at a few issues. I realize for many that their life has not had the blessings that mine has. Many of those blessings have come from parents being in the church and me being around caring others.

Thanks for the reminder.

NewLight

Post by NewLight » 01 Nov 2014, 15:06

Thanks for sharing this -- there is absolutely no doubt there are many people in the church doing what they can to help others not only cope, but thrive. It is very important to remember that.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 01 Nov 2014, 16:44

It's also important to remember that many of our concerns are possible ONLY because of amazing aspects of Mormon theology that we take for granted in our desire for more.

Concerns about how little Heavenly Mother is addressed or understood? We only have that concern because she exists within our theology. The concern is a good, valid one - but it's ours only because it's ours.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Ann

Post by Ann » 02 Nov 2014, 10:38

Man in the Arena wrote:I feel I need to also share a little about why I'm grateful for the church. Both my parents came from environments that would not have predicted success in life. Mom was abused in more ways than one and my dad endured a hateful mother and other issues that faced youth in the 1970's. The church saved them, gave them purpose, and taught them how to create an awesome family... something neither had before. Things weren't perfect and all the siblings in my family have parent issues, but being a parent myself I can see that the foundation for success that I have had in my life came from their faith in the gospel (also despite issues that temper with age, they truly are good people). I am grateful to a loving and forgiving heavenly father, because no one is perfect. I am grateful for awesome youth leaders who took precious time out of their lives to serve and helped mold me and give me a set of values to guide me throughout my life.
Very similar to my experience. Thanks for sharing.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11