General Women's Meeting - The new opening session

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
West

General Women's Meeting - The new opening session

Post by West » 30 Oct 2014, 15:54

http://www.kutv.com/news/features/local ... FLAuTCJOuZ

I remember in another thread that there was a discussion about the editing of the conference prayer, so I thought I'd drop this here if it hasn't been dropped already.
"The First Presidency has decided that the General Women's Meeting will be designated as the General Women's Session of general conference,” said LDS Church spokeswoman Jessica Moody in a statement emailed to 2News.

This comes after an edit to video of a prayer recorded during the conference in October. During his opening prayer at the priesthood session on Oct. 4, Elder Bruce A. Carlson of the Seventy referred to the meeting as the "fourth session" of the conference, presumably including the general women’s meeting the prior weekend in the count.
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein

And God said 'Love Your Enemy,' and I obeyed him and loved myself. -Kahlil Gibran

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Re: General Women's Meeting - The new opening session

Post by hawkgrrrl » 30 Oct 2014, 16:50

Best analogy: "Happy news: the people responsible for the llama credits have been sacked" (From Kristine H on BCC)

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 30 Oct 2014, 16:56

I am happy about this. If we complain, we need to acknowledge changes that address our complaints.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 30 Oct 2014, 16:58

Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 30 Oct 2014, 18:05

We bitched about the editing and the seeming contradiction between GAs. The church appears to be trying to make it right and acknowledge that the women's session is first and it is another step in the right direction. It's time to acknowledge that and quit complaining.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Daeruin

Post by Daeruin » 30 Oct 2014, 20:20

:clap: :clap: :clap:
"Not all those who wander are lost" —Tolkien

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 30 Oct 2014, 21:02

Uchtdorf 1, PR 0.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 30 Oct 2014, 22:45

Another win for Dieter.

My fantasy First Presidency has Dieter as President. Chieko Okazaki - 1st Counselor, David O. McKay - 2nd Counselor, Belle Spafford - General Women's leader.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 31 Oct 2014, 07:05

A win and we should accept it and stop harping over it. I am also glad that "someone" is hearing the complaints. BUT it is clear that agitation DOES nudge things even if we continually hear "Changes will and should ONLY come from on top."

I do dislike those that just like to bash against the leaders. I have lashed out a bit during my angry stage and feeling betrayed. But since then I have always tried to do an honest job of placing myself in a leaders shoes before I say anything. It does help temper just bashing on a set of people that I think by and large are good people and trying their best to do what they think is right. I was hoping/assuming they were a bit more guided in every step, but given my calling I hold now and how sparse the times were I feel a strong confirmation - maybe it is the same all the way up the chain.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 31 Oct 2014, 07:44

Isn't this more indicative of a struggle between PR and the leaders? Not that the leaders weren't sure what to do. It's impossible to say from here, but PR has opposed women consistently, and I imagine that some of the Q12 have sided with them (or that PR would say it was at the behest of the Q12), but some of the Q12 have consistently sought to create more voice and equality for women.

Unlike PR, I don't see PR as a de facto member of the Q12.