New Essay on Polygamy! (update, a 2nd one posted also)

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
NewLight

Re: New Essay on Polygamy! (update, a 2nd one posted also)

Post by NewLight » 14 Nov 2014, 05:46

ConfusedMolly, I grew up in the Mormon Corridor too and can truly relate to the teaching here that you should only get information about the church from the church and that anything negative is the world fighting against it. It makes me feel kind of dumb that I was so trusting now. But hey, I am in the one and only true church, so why should I doubt their judgement.

I don't think you can go through this whole transition experience without coming out knowing that leaders have their limitations. I've come to believe that when they say they won't lead us astray, it's more of a wish they are expressing than anything. They do care about us and want that idea to be true.

As for me, I'll listen to the talks and ask God what I need to be following from them.

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 17 Nov 2014, 13:32

ConfusedMolly wrote:I'm just not sure how to move forward from here. I feel like my balancing act of church vs. gospel could easily tumble out of control as I learn more and more. I can't keep using the excuse that, "prophets are people and make mistakes too" and "the church isn't perfect, but the gospel is" because we are supposed to be THE church. The only true church on the earth. The church that believes in revelation and God speaking directly to his prophets. I don't know how much more I can bear...
It sounds like your faith crisis a year ago helped you cope with a few things and you bandaged up the shelf good enough. The problem is...more stuff keeps happening. The shelf seems to crash easier.

My guess is, that there is more things we don't know about the church and it's past yet. There are more issues the church is dealing with and will not be perfect at. I just don't think it can work to just try to keep shelving stuff, and using the excuses that don't stand up over time.

Perhaps grappling with the most repellent things of our doctrine is the thing that will lead you to your own Sacred Grove experience DJ referred to. Perhaps that is what God wants for you.
F. Scott Fitzgerald said it best, “The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.”
As we become more aware of some of these things about the church and the gospel, we start to see the paradoxes that exist, and have always existed, even if we did not open our minds to see them in the past. Becoming more familiar with paradox is a growing opportunity.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 19 Nov 2014, 15:11

The same news article that ran here in the NYT and other papers apparently also ran in some major South American papers (according to my missionary son). he said the headline that 'Joseph Smith had 40 wives" caused some waves there. He says the problem is that most people (members and non-members alike) are unfamiliar with polygamy at all anyway, and the essays are only in English. FWIW, he is only aware of the essays because I tell him about them (all have been released since he has been out), but his mission president has been forced to make them known to the missionaries in general (at least the polygamy ones) some of who can't read them. FWIW, his MP is one of the more aware members and does know quite a bit about LDS history and does openly share it with the missionaries - I think that's a rarity by itself.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 19 Nov 2014, 15:59

DarkJedi wrote:The same news article that ran here in the NYT and other papers apparently also ran in some major South American papers (according to my missionary son). he said the headline that 'Joseph Smith had 40 wives" caused some waves there. He says the problem is that most people (members and non-members alike) are unfamiliar with polygamy at all anyway, and the essays are only in English.
I agree. I remember one of our stake missionaries in Chile coming to us becuase she had heard rumors about us becoming gods and populating our own planets with our offspring. My companion and I both felt that this was commonly understood doctrine. Looking back I can see how references to "becoming like heavenly parents" and "eternal progression" might not quite spell this out for members without the same LDS background.

I am sure the 40 wives part would have been a double shocker since not even the missionaries were not well versed in this stuff. I bet if the situation was reversed and it was coming out that the founder of the Jahovah's Witnesses had 40 wives, we LDS would generally make assumptions about the truthfullness of their church from this information.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13