36% activity rate in LDS Church

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Sheldon

36% activity rate in LDS Church

Post by Sheldon » 17 Oct 2014, 15:13

The church admitted that the activity rate is 36% in a posting on DN, then after 5 min took it down, and then an hour later put it back with that statistic (and a few others) missing. You can read about it here

36% is about what we thought here on the internet. They also posted and removed that the average ward is 35% men, 42% Women, 10% YM/YW, and 13% children in Primary.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: 36% activity rate in LDS Church

Post by Curt Sunshine » 17 Oct 2014, 15:16

Okay. So it matches what we thought and what has been said for a LONG time in training for local leaders.

Cool. They have been consistent with the numbers. I'm glad to know that.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 17 Oct 2014, 16:22

Weird that they took it down since it is fairly common knowledge. In fact, I always heard that too - that roughly 1/3 were active.

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 17 Oct 2014, 20:25

I've always heard the 1/3 figure too. That's been the same here in the midwest for the past 40 years.
No one ever talked about how it was calculated or if it was accurate. I always considered it as a rough estimate.

GBSmith

Post by GBSmith » 17 Oct 2014, 22:00

I'd heard that in Latin America it was closer to 25%.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 18 Oct 2014, 00:04

It probably is, GB, if that. The baseball baptism period, albeit relatively short, was devastating to activity rates in more than one area.

Otoh, in some places it is significantly higher than 1/3.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 18 Oct 2014, 05:27

GBSmith wrote:I'd heard that in Latin America it was closer to 25%.
I think it does depend on where you are in Latin America, just as in North America. I don't think there's much disputation that the activity rate is higher in Utah (perhaps as much as 60-65%) than outside the corridor where it seems to be closer to 40-45%. My son is a missionary in Chile where the activity rate is 10-15% (doorstep conversions did hurt there), and he spend most of his time "reactivating." An activation counts the same as a baptism for them. I'm sure the rates are a bit higher in urban Brazil.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 18 Oct 2014, 06:41

Statistics in isolation are interesting, but I find it particularly enlightening when compared with some other reference group's statistics. The stats reinforce my idea that living in Utah would be a mistake for someone like myself as there is likely a much higher concentration of TBM people who will cause my grief over my new way of coping with my membership.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 18 Oct 2014, 06:44

SilentDawning wrote:Statistics in isolation are interesting, but I find it particularly enlightening when compared with some other reference group's statistics. The stats reinforce my idea that living in Utah would be a mistake for someone like myself as there is likely a much higher concentration of TBM people who will cause my grief over my new way of coping with my membership.
I don't disagree with that, SD. Indeed, I am glad I don't live in Utah, although I do find it a nice place to visit.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

DevilsAdvocate

Post by DevilsAdvocate » 18 Oct 2014, 12:53

DarkJedi wrote:
GBSmith wrote:I'd heard that in Latin America it was closer to 25%.
I think it does depend on where you are in Latin America, just as in North America. I don't think there's much disputation that the activity rate is higher in Utah (perhaps as much as 60-65%) than outside the corridor where it seems to be closer to 40-45%. My son is a missionary in Chile where the activity rate is 10-15% (doorstep conversions did hurt there), and he spend most of his time "reactivating." An activation counts the same as a baptism for them. I'm sure the rates are a bit higher in urban Brazil.
To me it looks like there is no way that 60% or more of the Church members in Utah are active. Maybe that is the case in some wards in small towns, some Utah county neighborhoods, etc. that are dominated by a few hardcore LDS families but the majority of the members I grew up with that were active in primary and YM/YW largely because of their parents quickly became inactive as adults and I think this is probably typical in many Utah wards nowadays. There have also been reports that even half of the return missionaries have been falling away from the Church recently. Sometimes members' records are never transferred to their new ward when they move which makes me wonder if these statistics are simply an average of the numbers reported by the individual wards and already exclude many of the converts and members baptized as children that the Church has lost track of and doesn't know where they live anymore. There were rumors supposedly based on inside information that the activity rates could actually be less than 20% worldwide when actually counting the total number of members the Church claims versus the number that actually attend the meetings frequently enough to be considered active.
"Truth is what works." - William James