Covenants

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Re: Covenants

Post by DarkJedi » 10 Sep 2014, 12:13

I do appreciate your comments about covenants. I am no closer to believing that God makes any covenant with us as a result of what we covenant with Him, however, and still see these covenant ordinances as symbolic (and I'm actually very good with that, with my deist view of God and all).

As you may have guessed, I was asking because I have a talk to give on the subject (actually making and keeping covenants). I am striving to keep the focus on symbolism and simply committing to be better, more Christlike people as a result of our making covenants.

In researching I have landed upon the term "new and everlasting covenant" which seems to have a different (but related) meaning than I have previously thought. I think generally speaking when we hear the term "new and everlasting covenant" we automatically subconsciously add "of marriage" to it. However, in this little study I have done I think we err in doing so - LDS.org makes it quite clear in multiple places that the new and everlasting covenant is the "fullness of the gospel." It's related to the marriage part because the church teaches that all ordinances, including baptism and temple marriage, are part of this new and everlasting covenant. Interestingly, this seems to be a promise by God to us without us necessarily making a promise back.

So, I'd like to include a section on the new and everlasting covenant, sans "of marriage," in my talk, which should fit right in because I like to focus on the core themes of the gospel anyway. I would also, of course, like to make sure my talk is not offensive to the more orthodox listeners while giving the less orthodox hope there is someone who understands. (FWIW, I do not believe the new and everlasting covenant has anything to do with polygamy.) Any suggestions are welcome.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction