Suggestions for great R-rated movies?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Ilovechrist77

Re: Suggestions for great R-rated movies?

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 28 Aug 2014, 22:39

I've never seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I'll have see that. I used to like Jim Carrey, but not as much anymore. I am a huge Kate Winslet fan. I fell in love with her after seeing her in Titanic. :smile:

Daeruin

Post by Daeruin » 28 Aug 2014, 22:59

There are some good recommendations here! I've seen a fair number of these films. Some of them I'm sure are not rated R (Amelia, Edge of Tomorrow, Jack Reacher, Limitless, Oblivion—all great films that I have seen), but I'll forgive you. :)

In general I'm not a fan of raunchy comedies or horror. The furthest I go into horror is films like The Others and The Village. I can't watch modern war films with lots of realistic violence. I was scarred by some films like that as a kid, and I can get physically ill from certain kinds of violence. I actually passed out during a movie one time. So movies like Saving Private Ryan and Apocalypse Now will unfortunately never be on my list. For some reason that doesn't extend to historical films that don't involve guns, so I was fine with Braveheart and Gladiator, which are both in my top 10 favorites. I was also fine with the ridiculous gore in the recent Hansel and Gretel film, too, although the movie was terrible.

I also have to work around my dear wife. We went through that uncritical R-rated movie watching phase together, but she rebounded further than I did. I have to work on her really hard to get her to watch an R-rated movie these days. I convinced her to watch Looper when it came out, and we both liked it. I think the last one we saw before that was The King's Speech, which really didn't need to be rated R (it had a few F-words, that's all).

Ones I've seen: Almost Famous, Amelie, Bridget Jones Diary, Gladiator, High Fidelity, The King's Speech, Legends of the Fall, Love Actually, Shakespeare in Love, The Terminator.

Ones I'll be putting on my list: Be Kind Rewind, Bottle Rocket, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Godfather, Good Will Hunting, Gran Torino, The Green Mile, Next Stop Wonderland, Office Space, Pulp Fiction, Shawshank Redemption, When Harry Met Sally.

Thanks, everyone! Keep the recommendations coming. :)
"Not all those who wander are lost" —Tolkien

DevilsAdvocate

Post by DevilsAdvocate » 29 Aug 2014, 07:09

Daeruin wrote:Many of my favorite movies of all time are rated R: The Matrix, The Last of the Mohicans, and The Last Samurai, to name a few. For a while I watched tons of rated R movies, but after a while I found that the vast majority of them were awful, and the R-rated content was usually completely gratuitous and ended up undermining the movie rather than supporting it, if that makes sense. On the other hand, the R-rated content in my favorites tends to be pretty sparing and almost always supports a larger theme (some are a little more intense, like Gladiator, Braveheart, and Looper). I hardly even bother with rated R movies anymore, but I keep wondering if I'm missing something awesome. I hate the idea of having to watch a bunch of garbage to find those diamonds in the rough. What are some rated R movies that are really worthwhile?
Basically a few F-bombs will earn an automatic R-rating. Anything more than something like 47 seconds worth of soft-core sex scenes will prevent a movie from even getting an R-rating. Blink and you will miss it. I'm not sure why it's alright to show breasts in some PG-13 movies (e.g. Titanic) but other movies will end up with an R-rating for what looks like the same exact thing. It almost looks like the producers and directors already know the rating they want ahead of time and will edit or leave things in, appeal to the ratings board, etc. until they end up with the rating they are aiming for. Some of the violence and gore really is over-the-top but that is probably the least troublesome of all to most Church members and now we are seeing what is basically the equivalent of R-rated violence and gore in regular TV shows (not HBO/Showtime) that still limit the sex, nudity, and language to PG.

Personally I will watch movies like the Hangover series, 300, horror movies, etc. including the unrated version if there is one and the sex, nudity, language, and/or violence doesn't usually bother me much. What bothers me the most about movies is if they boring and tedious to sit through and that's when I will really end up feeling like it was a waste of time. However, more sensitive viewers could try watching "The King's Speech" or "Argo" for example and I doubt that most TBMs would find anything overly offensive about them. There are many if not the majority of R-rated movies where editing out less than a minute of material would change it to PG or PG-13 which isn't really that much compared about 90 minutes to over two hours of the entire movie.
"Truth is what works." - William James

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 29 Aug 2014, 08:20

How could I have not thought of Shawshank Redemption and Shaun of the Dead? Great movies.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 29 Aug 2014, 09:11

Top Grossing R-rated movie of all time...

Passion of the Christ.

I actually have never seen it.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Forgotten_Charity

Post by Forgotten_Charity » 29 Aug 2014, 12:17

My apologize if there suppose to be American or English movies but i watch from around the world.

1-Blade
2- Kung Fu Hustle-Hong Kong
3- the Last Samurai
4-Pans Labyrinth- Spanish
5- Chocolate- Thai
6- Tombstone
7- Ip Man- Japanese
8- Alien
9-127 hours
10- Prometheus
11-True Lies
12-good will hunting
13--coming to America
14-nobody knows- Japanese(think that's pg-13 though).

That's all that's off the top of my head, may add more later.
Hope some of are of some use to you.

Mostly movies with values or identity or history I can relate to or plots of redemption or empathy.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 29 Aug 2014, 14:18

Good Will Hunting - absolutely
Fargo
Ran (pronounced "rahn" in Japanese)
12 Years a Slave
L.A. Confidential
The Silence of the Lambs
Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood)
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 29 Aug 2014, 15:35

Amelie is rated R, just to clarify - there is nudity. I mean, it's French, come on. I forgot one more that has an R rating but honestly shouldn't: A Room with a View. It has male nudity, but in the context of swimming.

DevilsAdvocate

Post by DevilsAdvocate » 30 Aug 2014, 15:01

I thought the Big Lebowski was better than most PG-13 movies I have seen and any R-rated content didn't stand out as being any worse than some of the other movies already mentioned. Personally I associate the PG-13 rating mostly with big budget movies like all the ones based on comic books, Men in Black, Sherlock Holmes, the Hunger Games, etc. that they keep cranking out to make money but after a while it seems like the same thing over and over again. Basically it seems like there are more movies overall that are rated R and there is far more variety than there is for PG or PG-13 rated movies.
"Truth is what works." - William James

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 30 Aug 2014, 18:02

Why is your emphasis only on R-rated movies?
One of my all time favorite movies is "A River Runs Through It".
It is rated PG. The rating for any movie is not as important as:
1. Does it tell a compelling story?
2. Who are the principle stars?
3. Is it considered a quality production?

There has never been a time in my life where I felt that I need to "grossed out" or shocked for no reason.
There are movies I've seen once & thought they had an important message to tell. For example,
Schindler's List & Saving Private Ryan.