Good things that happen at church

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Good things that happen at church

Post by Curt Sunshine » 24 Feb 2019, 21:29

In Elders Quorum today, the assistant who led the discussion said he had been thinking a lot about how to balance the spiritual and the secular in our pursuit of understanding truth and that he wanted to get input from everyone about that question. It was a wonderful discussion that was focused on things like studying from secular experts, not believing and passing on divisive, critical memes on social media, not arguing with people who know more about a topic than you do ("Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."), talking with people who are different to understand what it is like to be different (Mormon, African-American, gay, immigrant, etc.), erring on the side of empathy and charity rather than judgmentalism, not pitting religion against science, realizing previous church leaders and members had mistaken beliefs about science (the example of Joseph Fielding Smith saying humans would never walk on the moon), being able to say "I don't know," etc.

I know how hard it is to be in a unit where this sort of discussion doesn't happen, but it is important to realize these types of discussions do happen more than we realize.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 24 Feb 2019, 22:12

I did a teacher's council today and it went well. 7 people attended, and I did it as lecture/discussion. Everyone seemed to really get a lot out the lesson. I decided just to be myself and told them I was going to speak like an Academic. After running through the basics of operant conditioning techniques, including our terminology, I then showed how they could be adapted to handling disruptions in class.

They laughed a lot at my jokes, which was very rewarding. It was because I had a personal relationship with most of them, and a good one too borne out of various times I served them. It went very well, and I was very happy overall with my day.

Afterwards a member of the Bpric came over and talked to my son, extended a new calling to my wife, which she accepted. He left me alone. I'll keep doing the bare minimum with the teacher's council to stay off the radar.

Overall, a very good church day. Two hour church is absolutely wonderful isn't it!
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 28 Mar 2019, 06:49

It's time to bump this up again.
My wife is a Primary teacher. She loves the calling & her students seem to like her. They are 4 & 5 yr olds.
Recently a little girl came up to my DW & they had a little discussion before sacrament meeting.
As they were talking the LD (little darling) looked at me & said to my wife,
Is this your Daddy?
My wife explained
No, this is my husband.
They continued their conversation but the LD keep looking
at me. It was obvious to me that this explanation did not compute.

I said to my wife after,
I have to start taking better care of myself.
And we laughed.
Or every once in a while I'll ask
Who's your Daddy?
The innocence of a little child is wonderful way to start a sacrament meeting.
I hope it happens again very soon.

Roy

Post by Roy » 28 Mar 2019, 08:49

My 11 yr old son was ordained to the Aaronic priesthood as a deacon. I appreciate that he is able to be included in the sacrament service.

My 13 yr old daughter was called and set apart as YW class president. We are not the most active family and this calling could have gone to the daughters of bishopric members. I wonder if the leaders might have suggested my daughter as a way to get her more involved and included. I am all for it. DD can grow her leadership qualities and help plan activities that she may be interested in.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13