Good things that happen at church

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
nibbler

Re: Good things that happen at church

Post by nibbler » 23 Mar 2015, 05:52

I reeeealy hope this won't be considered a thread jack but I've had similar experiences when visiting other churches. I think that's because when I walk through the doors of some other church for the first time we're still in our honeymoon phase. The LDS church and I are an old married couple. I know all of her faults and she knows all of mine, we push each other's buttons, and the kids are screaming right when what we really need is a little silence. ;)

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 23 Mar 2015, 09:47

I hope this isn't a threadjack, but . . . :P

I like visiting other religions and experiencing their services. It's good to be a visitor and have no obligations and responsibilities and expectations - to see most of the good and (usually) none of the bad.

Just saying . . . ;)
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 23 Mar 2015, 12:26

nibbler wrote:and the kids are screaming right when what we really need is a little silence.
It helps if the church you are visiting has a good childcare/ children's program going on during the worship service. Even better when you go to pick the kids up and the very organized and capable looking childcare staff tell you that your kids were wonderful - even though you suspect that they probably were not. :angel:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

mom3

Post by mom3 » 23 Mar 2015, 14:01

Ann - My husband is attending UU services. I take turns attending both. There are definite pluses and minuses, but I am glad you had a good experience. I really wish there was an LDS leadership drop box, if we could make Sacrament Meeting more Christ centered I think it would do a world of healing good for many people.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 23 Mar 2015, 14:31

That is one thing I love about my present ward, mom3 - and I think it is true of many wards.

We tend to hear about more wards that aren't because, let's face it, most people in wards that are like you want aren't online trying to find help in dealing with their wards being too Christ-centered. :lol:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 11 Aug 2015, 11:49

I dug the thread up because I have something to share.

We recently had a young couple (20s, just out of BYU) move into our ward. This is unusual because our ward is not very appealing to young couples. There are no other young couples and we've aged considerably over the past 20 years. When I was ordained a HP 20 years ago I was the youngest guy in the group. I am still the second youngest guy at 55.

Anyway, the couple was asked to speak in SM and it was so refreshing. The brother made two points that really stuck out to me. He said we needn't be afraid of worldly things like gay marriage - they do not affect us or what we believe, and we should just let the world do what it does while we do what we do. He specifically said that gay marriage does us no harm. The other thing that stuck out was that he said many of the things most of us see as doctrine really aren't doctrine but are traditions, and he mentioned some specific things but said we needn't focus on them because the are great things to focus on which are doctrine.

It was very refreshing to me not only because of the new energy these people can bring to us but also because they are RMs and BYU grads and have this wonderful mindset. I don't think they are atypical of their generation and wish we had more of them to balance our ward.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 11 Aug 2015, 15:08

Thanks for digging this up. Good points about what they shared in your meeting. I bet 10 years ago that would have received gasps...not so much anymore.

I also had speakers in sacrament meeting share how they have doubted the gospel and doctrine, that there are many hard things to accept in church history. Very openly and plainly he put that out there. Then proceeded to have a very inspiring talk on how he worked through it and has faith in Christ, despite some issues that exist.

And it was warmly received by the congregation.

I don't think these things are as uncommon or shocking as they once were. I think that is progress.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

jgaskill

Post by jgaskill » 14 Aug 2015, 19:50

I think the most important thing darkjedi is that the focus was on Jesus Christ . I would like to see more members work toward being more Christ centered and get some distance from joseph Smith . Jesus Christ should always be our focus and we should live a life that reflects that !!!

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 06 Mar 2016, 14:43

I'm glad you found this thread and mentioned it elsewhere, Nibbler. I had thought of some things awhile back that I thought were good for here but couldn't find it. But I have another!

In a stake PEC meeting we were discussing an upcoming stake conference and the SP was passing out assignments for things like setting up chairs and babysitting during adult session. A topic came up and he looked puzzled for a bit and said "How does that get done? I've never made an assignment but it always happens and I don't know who does it." A counselor knew who did it and chimed in. The SP then asked who asks him to do it to which the reply was no one. Then the SP said it's minor but important and we should ask him. I drew the assignment, and the guy thanked me for asking. He then went on about other little things that happen in regard to conference that nobody seems to pay any attention to. He said another thing he noticed was that the SP never thanks the music people or ushers or those who set up the chairs and wondered if I'd mention it to him. I did bring it up at the following meeting, and the SP felt a bit embarrassed, thanked me for the input and took a minute of conference time to recognize all the help that goes into making conference happen.

I hadn't noticed that the SP did this either, because he does thank the high council - in high council meeting. It's a little thing but I think it went a long way.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 06 Mar 2016, 16:47

Well then - thank you moderators for keeping this site true to the "stay LDS" theme.

Thank you to all those that post here and make it a place worth reading and participating.