Good things that happen at church

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Good things that happen at church

Post by Curt Sunshine » 15 Mar 2015, 08:20

The last speaker today gave a talk that everyone here would have loved. I asked for a copy, but I want to share one thing before Sunday School starts.

In talking about the Sadducees and Pharisees, he mentioned Gospel hobbies - and one of the examples he used was "the white shirt hobby".
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 15 Mar 2015, 14:33

Please do forward on
Ray DeGraw wrote:"the white shirt hobby".
What a nice way to frame it - "hobby". Not too offensive, but brings home the point that it isn't THE gospel.

slowlylosingit

Post by slowlylosingit » 16 Mar 2015, 16:42

I have lived out East, close to Joseph's home, for a few years now and it has been so awesome for me to be around people that aren't from the West. Haha I just felt that what happened in my Stake meeting yesterday, may not be something I will hear when we move back out West. It seems like being open about doubts isn't quite as welcome, or I just haven't heard much of it. Our Stake Presidency was changed yesterday and I had such a great experience, which has not happened in such a long time. One of the new presidency members bore his testimony and it was so obvious that he has had a faith crisis. He talked about wondering if God was real and if the church was true, and he said that after he had studied world religions he had come to the conclusion that if God was real, then this was His church. He then went on a search to know if God was real. He said that three things had helped him come to his decision that God was real. I am going to destroy this, as I cant remember exactly how he put things, but I remember the idea. He said one was that he read through the book of mormon and felt that God had indeed inspired Joseph and he said that he didnt know how Joseph did it, (loved this) but he did know that it was of God and he felt the spirit when he read it. Another was through service in the church and how he had been led by God and had seen the Lord's hand while serving people. The third thing must not have been as important for me to hear because I have asked three people and they all could remember the first two, but not the third. Haha Anyway, I really needed to hear from someone that was just a bishop and now in the stake presidency, and see that you can get through all of this and still be faithful and useful to the Lord. I hope to be able to help others one day, or to find peace with the Lord wherever I land!!
"Our case was so insane, that if you made it up, nobody would believe it"--Gerald Conlon

SunbeltRed

Post by SunbeltRed » 17 Mar 2015, 05:40

slowlylosingit wrote:I have lived out East, close to Joseph's home, for a few years now and it has been so awesome for me to be around people that aren't from the West. Haha I just felt that what happened in my Stake meeting yesterday, may not be something I will hear when we move back out West. It seems like being open about doubts isn't quite as welcome, or I just haven't heard much of it. Our Stake Presidency was changed yesterday and I had such a great experience, which has not happened in such a long time. One of the new presidency members bore his testimony and it was so obvious that he has had a faith crisis. He talked about wondering if God was real and if the church was true, and he said that after he had studied world religions he had come to the conclusion that if God was real, then this was His church. He then went on a search to know if God was real. He said that three things had helped him come to his decision that God was real. I am going to destroy this, as I cant remember exactly how he put things, but I remember the idea. He said one was that he read through the book of mormon and felt that God had indeed inspired Joseph and he said that he didnt know how Joseph did it, (loved this) but he did know that it was of God and he felt the spirit when he read it. Another was through service in the church and how he had been led by God and had seen the Lord's hand while serving people. The third thing must not have been as important for me to hear because I have asked three people and they all could remember the first two, but not the third. Haha Anyway, I really needed to hear from someone that was just a bishop and now in the stake presidency, and see that you can get through all of this and still be faithful and useful to the Lord. I hope to be able to help others one day, or to find peace with the Lord wherever I land!!

This is great! Thanks for sharing. I think it could be amazing if were able to open up the tent a bit more (a lot more, but have to take baby steps I think).

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 22 Mar 2015, 11:22

In Sunday School, we were talking about the parable of the sower and the different types of ground on which the seeds fall.

One woman (totally active and the wife of someone with a visible calling) said:
Sometimes, the ground shifts beneath you.
She wouldn't have shared it, but her husband asked her to share with everyone what she had whispered to him.

We really don't have any idea who is struggling with what. I simply know that we are not alone in doing the best we can to make sense of it all OR in having the ground shift beneath us in some way.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 22 Mar 2015, 11:25

Also, in that same lesson someone pointed out that the good ground produced fruit at different levels - but it all counted as good. He then said we need to stop judging others who seem to "produce" less than others - that the key was enduring and producing whatever that person could contribute, even if that was only attending meetings once a month, just as an example. He said that still is good fruit.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 22 Mar 2015, 13:32

Ray DeGraw wrote:In Sunday School, we were talking about the parable of the sower and the different types of ground on which the seeds fall.

One woman (totally active and the wife of someone with a visible calling) said:
Sometimes, the ground shifts beneath you.
She wouldn't have shared it, but her husband asked her to share with everyone what she had whispered to him.

We really don't have any idea who is struggling with what. I simply know that we are not alone in doing the best we can to make sense of it all OR in having the ground shift beneath us in some way.
Ah, that "sandy soil of doubt and uncertainty."
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 22 Mar 2015, 13:34

In stake conference two speakers in their end of talk testimonies said (words similar to) "I know the gospel is true" without mentioning the church. I realize few people probably noticed or didn't recognize the difference - but I did. One of those speakers was a counselor in the SP.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

mom3

Post by mom3 » 22 Mar 2015, 13:47

Relief Society was fantastic, we discussed with lots of great comments, Elder Hollands talk "Are we not all Beggars." I felt like singing some Hallelujah chorus after it.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Ann

Post by Ann » 22 Mar 2015, 21:37

I hope this won't be considered a thread jack, but the experience has lingered with me; it's "good things that happened a couple of weeks ago at an Episcopal church." We were traveling. We got all dressed Sunday morning and went to the address lds.org gave us, but no church. So we slipped into this one. My husband had just been talking about how the Episcopal church is imploding, splintering, etc., but here's what I experienced: More scriptures and references to Christ than in a typical month of sacrament meetings, more than twice the music, communion (not for me), passing the plate, greeting each other, reciting scriptures together and a group reading of the names on their prayer roll. There was coffee (not for me) and refreshments afterwards.

I still missed "my" sacrament meeting, but it was a beautiful service. They were organized, loving and caring. Some things are universal, though. The announcements took up way too much time. :yawn:
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11