Good things that happen at church

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Re: Good things that happen at church

Post by hawkgrrrl » 15 Feb 2015, 21:36

Our third hour was great - we reviewed the new site http://www.justserve.org/ and how we can use it to find ways to serve in our local community. Loved that. The website is very similar to one that we had at American Express where we could find local projects our teams could go do to serve in the community.

My daughter wasn't with us today because her friend's church had a Disneyland trip this weekend, so we let her go to that. At the last minute she was dead panicked because they were doing a church service before the trip, and she was convinced they were going to trash on Mormons at this church service. I pointed out that while other churches may sometimes be critical of Mormons, it's pretty unlikely that their church service would be about us. She continued to be anxious, so I told her if they said something bad about us, she should just stand up and say "Well, I'm a Mormon, and it's not a cult," but while she's saying this she should hold up a paper in front of her chest that says "Save me!"

mom3

Post by mom3 » 21 Feb 2015, 19:01

Spent the day at a fantastic ward service project. I love when we all come together to fill a need. Good Stuff.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 08 Mar 2015, 18:03

I've been on the lookout ever since this thread was created. I've gone through an extended drought locally but today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4SUl69RFJ8

This week was WC and the lesson during SS was “Take My Yoke upon You, and Learn of Me.” The instruction was really good and all the comments made were truly awesome (if I didn't know any better I'd have guessed that the person that substitute taught the class has an account on StayLDS :P). The whole class was centered on Christ and a good portion of the discussion was focused on not being judgmental and being accepting and loving. I just sat there, listened, and enjoyed every minute of it.

SM and the joint PH/RS had some wheat mixed in with the tares as well. :lol:
The wound is the place where the light enters you.
— Rumi

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 08 Mar 2015, 20:16

We also had that lesson, and it was wonderful.

I also was sustained as a High Councilor. I get to talk a lot and have no real authority. It's perfect. :D
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Eternity4me

Post by Eternity4me » 08 Mar 2015, 22:20

Ray, congrats to you. I am glad you are in a position to do good in your stake.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 09 Mar 2015, 08:05

Ray DeGraw wrote:We also had that lesson, and it was wonderful.

I also was sustained as a High Councilor. I get to talk a lot and have no real authority. It's perfect. :D
I wouldn't exactly call being in charge of setting up chairs for stake conference "no authority" Ray. :D

I had a few good things happen yesterday:
1. Terryl and Fiona Givens gave an excellent fireside presentation last evening. They are such down-to-earth people, I enjoyed meeting them and I thoroughly enjoyed their presentation. (I plan to give an expanded version of my notes at some point.) Seriously, if you have the opportunity to hear them speak, take it - you will come out edified. My only disappointment was how relatively poor the attendance was and that I was the only high councilor there, although a member of the stake presidency did willingly preside and participate. There were no bishops there, either. On the other hand, I knew almost everyone in the room and gained some insights into where some others are on their journeys.

2. Related to #1, I volunteered to say the opening prayer. That might not seem like a big deal, but I have not said a prayer in a larger meeting since returning - so for me it was sort of big. Honestly I don't know what came over me, the sister conducting asked for a volunteer and my hand just went up. :o I generally avoid being asked and except for one time in HPG and a couple times in HC meetings I have been successful at avoiding public prayer.

3. In HPG the lesson was from the ETB manual about repentance. I pretty much liked this lesson from the book, but the teacher did not use the book at all (which is fine with me), his lesson was more of a basic repentance thing. (On the other hand, we're high priests, and could have used something a little more meaty.) At any rate, someone threw into the discussion what other churches (Protestant churches were specifically mentioned) teach about repentance and the idea that many of them only teach that we must accept Christ and we are then forgiven without any of the "work" of repentance. This went on for a bit until the newly called HPGL (a convert) spoke up and said we need to be careful in talking about what other churches believe. He said we know as little about them as they do about us, but that he is unaware of any Christian church that does not teach repentance in some form and that repentance is a basic gospel principle. This is not the first time I have heard him say things like this, but it's nice he did again.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 09 Mar 2015, 08:23

DarkJedi wrote:2. Related to #1, I volunteered to say the opening prayer. That might not seem like a big deal, but I have not said a prayer in a larger meeting since returning - so for me it was sort of big. Honestly I don't know what came over me, the sister conducting asked for a volunteer and my hand just went up. :o I generally avoid being asked and except for one time in HPG and a couple times in HC meetings I have been successful at avoiding public prayer.
Congrats. :thumbup:
The wound is the place where the light enters you.
— Rumi

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 09 Mar 2015, 16:53

I was going to start this post with "I think I'm in the best ward in the church", but that's just a fleeting thought as I know nothings perfect. But yesterday was really good, the youth speaker talked about not judging others, the adults gave excellent talks quoting from the Baptist hymnal and other sources (the concluding speaker was a sister as well). Really great meeting.
OTOH, there was a slight disturbance towards the end of the 3rd hour and the police showed up, so there's that.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

metalrain

Post by metalrain » 10 Mar 2015, 00:30

LDS_Scoutmaster wrote:I was going to start this post with "I think I'm in the best ward in the church", but that's just a fleeting thought as I know nothings perfect. But yesterday was really good, the youth speaker talked about not judging others, the adults gave excellent talks quoting from the Baptist hymnal and other sources (the concluding speaker was a sister as well). Really great meeting.
OTOH, there was a slight disturbance towards the end of the 3rd hour and the police showed up, so there's that.
story please!

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 10 Mar 2015, 16:45

Actually I don't know the story, they showed up just after the bulk of parishioners had fled the scene. The bishop had sequestered them quickly into a Sunday school room. I'll probably hear more about whatever happened during the coming week.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.