Good things that happen at church

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Good things that happen at church

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 Mar 2016, 17:42

We had two people today mention in their testimonies that they can't say they know much but that they have faith and try to act on that faith.

It was wonderful to hear.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 06 Mar 2016, 18:01

Ray DeGraw wrote:We had two people today mention in their twstimonies that they can't say they know much but that they have faith and try to act on that faith.
A twstimony. I bet you weren't expecting to hear that.
The new beatitude: "Good luck..."
- Maynard James Keenan

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 Mar 2016, 21:13

Stupid small phone keys; not stupid fingers that used those keys. :P

I fixed it, just for you. :smile:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 01 May 2016, 17:47

In HPG today the member of the stake presidency from our ward as well as both high councilors from our ward and a visiting high councilor were present. The lesson topic was the atonement, but it evolved into a discussion of grace. The first four commenters were the SP counselor and all three high councilors - all testifying of grace over works. There are some "workers" in our ward, but they were so overwhelmed by these "gracers" that they had nothing to say. :thumbup:
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Ann

Post by Ann » 01 May 2016, 22:32

I was visiting a ward today where one elder bore his testimony for the last time before going home, talking about things he "learned and unlearned" on his mission. His companion also spoke about how happy he was to be staying in the ward. They were towards the back near us on the folding chairs and had an investigator with them. I was overwhelmed - I really couldn't sing - when I watched them sing the closing hymn looking off of one hymnal. There was such happiness and love radiating from those three. I didn't serve a mission and most days don't wish I had; but today I did.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 02 May 2016, 13:03

I was involved in a reinstatement hearing over the weekend.

I know the issues in many disciplinary hearings, but when they work how they are supposed to work, they are amazing experiences.

This one, in particular, was instructive for many of the brethren involved. I can't share details, but, even though I wish the person hadn't gone through their experience, I was glad everyone was able to be taught some needed lessons and perspectives by the person being reinstated.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 01 May 2018, 18:56

The first speaker in Sacrament Meeting on Sunday spoke about her long struggle to feel the spirit or any sign that God loves her personally, despite her valiant efforts. She basically said she realized she wants to believe it, so she has to rely on trust alone, since she just doesn't seem to be able to have the kind of experiences other people have.

It was a WONDERFUL talk.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 01 May 2018, 22:07

The Gospel Doctrine Teacher and I were on the same page together, TWICE.

I don't Gospel Doctrine during the Mormon years - BoM and D&C (It's not church history, no matter what they call it.) But I pop back in after the Book of Abraham/Creation section and hang out for Old and New Testament.

Our teacher is more TBM, but a nice guy. Well the two of us both pushed back on the class judging the Israelites for not getting their act together during the Exodus. He started gently. Then a bit later, I popped up and said, I would have been a whiner. All my life I would have be told that "Deliverance was coming." If walking for days and only eating the same food was deliverance, I would be way ticked. No matter what the "Godly" lesson was. He took off running with it. In total support.

Later we had "Ministering" as the 5th Sunday Special. He left about half way through. I bumped into in the parking lot and made a joke about we all talked about him after he left. He asked if I had a minute. I was sure I had offended him. Wrong. He was ticked because he had just taught a class about the children of Israel and their struggles, and everyone in the class was happily judgmental about the Israelites. But every answer from the moderns (us) sounded like rehashing of old Home Teaching not new Ministering. We talked for about 20 minutes. It was a great conversation.

The man is older than I am in and in a different stage of life, but not as Traditional as I had assumed he was. Good lesson for me.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 07 May 2018, 05:53

We made it to church today as a family. I sat in the Nursery with my daughter during Sunday School, but figured that I could attend Relief Society with my 20 month old cute extrovert daughter (the R.S. room is more child-proofed than the chapel, and several wannabe grandmas haven't seen my daughter recently to grandparent/spoil). We had had a fast and testimony meeting full of "these people in my life lost their testimony over yada yada - but thankfully I still have mine" (that was the gist of it)... However, there was one testimony by our local unorthodox sincere tribal elder that focused on how he believed in a force greater than and smarter the was, and this was God. He shared some of his experiences with God and how they were meaningful for him. But that was as far as it went - his sincerity and his wording brought me back into listening and being hopeful.

Anyways, in R.S. we were talking about what our branch relief society wanted to focus on, and I added that a good principle in general and that would be helpful for missionary work was to "Seek to Understand before seeking to be Understood", and how it had been my experience that for some atheists and agnostics, God had died in their lives, and it was possible and even likely that they had been and/or were going through a period of mourning. If we want to understand how they relate to God, we need to understand before they tell us (if they do tell us) that there is sorrow there that we can relate to (maybe not well*).

Several others (we are a small branch so there were maybe 10 -15 of us) shared comments that related to that and the importance of just listening and meeting the person wherever they were - both inside and outside of the church.

*NOTE: Both of my parents are living, but I have lost 3 of my grandparents. 2 of those grandparents were not important to me, so I didn't/don't mourn them. But 1 grandmother was very important to me and I struggle at times with my grief still even though it has been over 20 years. My understanding of mourning the death of a parent is limited to the empathy/understanding I have from mourning my grandmother and magnifying it in my miind. Maybe it is hard sometimes for TBMs to relate to atheists/agnostics because it is the equivalent of atheists/agnostics losing parents or grandparents, and the TBMs have not had that life experience to learn from yet.

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 21 May 2018, 13:17

Yesterday we got a new counselor in the Bishopric of our ward. He is quiet, unassuming & hard working.
He had been inactive for a while then became active again about a year or two before we did.
Our ward is a good mixture of Students, professionals and others that are from the inner city.
Some that are TBM, others that are not & others in between. Everyone that I talked to said he was a good
choice for the job. I agree.