May I have your, Belief-O-Matic, please?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
katielangston

Re: May I have your, Belief-O-Matic, please?

Post by katielangston » 24 Sep 2009, 18:51

Here are my top 5...

1. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (100%)
2. Orthodox Quaker (88%)
3. Eastern Orthodox (85%)
4. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (85%)
5. Roman Catholic (85%)

Mormon was my #22. I'm 46% Mo. And an ENFP.

I love quizzes, thanks for posting it, Tom. :)

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 11 Apr 2018, 07:04

Very late to the party...
I tested 2x.
NOTE: I recognized the LDS party line answers, but in my heart of hearts have not reconstructed some of the notable beliefs. However, when I took it a 3rd time with as authentic party line friendly answers as possible, I could score LDS as the highest one.

First time:
Mahayana Buddhism (100%)
Jainism (98%)
Sikhism (96%)
Neo-Paganism (85%)
Liberal Quakerism (82%)
LDS (31%)

Second Time:
Liberal Quakerism (96%)
Sikhism (88%)
United Universalism (88%)
Neo-Paganism (85%)
Mahayana Buddhism (82%)
LDS (39%)

MBTI Type: INFJ

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 11 Apr 2018, 08:28

It says I'm a good fit for Liberal Quakerism...

Second place was Secular Humanist. I'd rather be that. Unitarian Universalism is pretty cool too. I just don't think Hitler will be getting rewarded in the end.

Secular Humanism
88%
Unitarian Universalism
85%
Liberal Christian Protestantism
77%
Taoism
67%
Reformed Judaism
66%
Orthodox Quakerism
63%
Mahayana Buddhism
61%
Atheism
61%
Neo-Paganism
57%
New Age
52%
Scientology
52%
Jainism
48%
Church of Christ, Scientist
48%
New Thought
48%
Sikhism
45%
Theravada Buddhism
44%
Bahá'í Faith
43%
Conservative Christian Protestant
43%
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
37%
Seventh-day Adventists
29%
Islam
28%
Orthodox Judaism
24%
Roman Catholicism
23%
Eastern Orthodox Christianity
20%
Jehovah's Witnesses
18%
Hinduism
18%

I'm apparently more Bahá'í than LDS.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Sometimes our journeys take us to unexpected places. That is a truly beautiful thing.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 11 Apr 2018, 08:42

Every time I took that test in the past the religion with the highest matching percentage was at 4% and most of the rest were at 1% or 2%.

Time to start my own religion I guess.

Edit:

I retook the test just now, I think there was a period of time when the quiz was bugged, I get answers higher than 5% now:

1) Taoism (100%)
2) Unitarian Universalism (92%)
3) Secular Humanism (86%)
4) Liberal Quakerism (83%)
5) Mahayana Buddhism (78%)
23) LDS (10% - a tithe!)

I still want to start my own religion. ;)
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel... that makes me feel ANGRY!
— Robot Devil

dande48

Post by dande48 » 11 Apr 2018, 08:54

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, Amy! I only took it once. In a few places I felt like my answers needed more in depth definitions and explanations. But it marked me as Jainist, which I thought was very fitting, though now I'm even more upset the Nazi's misused the swastika.

1. Taoism- 91%
2. Mahayana Buddhism- 90%
3. Liberal Quakerism- 86%
4. Hinduism- 84%
5. Unitarian Universalism- 78%
And LDS is third last, at 26%, lol. They also gave me 65% for Scientology and 63% with Christian Scientist, both which I greatly disagree. Athiest was only at 54%, which I also thought was suprising.

If I were to personally give a rank, I would put:
Mahayana Buddhism
Secular Humanism
Athiesm
Taoism
LDS
Islam
Neo-Paganism
Last edited by dande48 on 11 Apr 2018, 09:04, edited 2 times in total.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

dande48

Post by dande48 » 11 Apr 2018, 08:58

nibbler wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 08:42
I've thought about this before. I think if my wife wouldn't be so intensely opposed, I'd open up one of Comte's "Temple for Humanity". We'd have hymns and sacraments, and baptisms, and wonderful sermons... only God wouldn't have much to do with it.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 11 Apr 2018, 09:24

I had taken this a few years back but I don't fully remember my stats except the top one was Unitarian Univeralism. That's somewhat interesting because I think I do gravitate in that direction and could actually see myself going there were I to leave Mormonism. UU came in at #2 this time, LDS did not crack the top 10. Maybe the Quaker stuff is because I'm a native Pennsylvanian? (Pennsylvanite?)

Liberal Quakerism 91%
UU 83%
Sikhism 79%
Liberal Christian Protestant 71%
Orthodox Quakerism 59%

I could do my own church, probably similar to Dande's. I'd use a Protestant or Catholic hymnbook as opposed to ours, and I'm not sure baptism has to be by immersion (although I do see the symbolism in that). That might also be why UU is appealing - you kind kind of do what you want without anybody telling you you can't go to heaven because you did this or didn't do that.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 11 Apr 2018, 15:17

I found an email from where I had taken the quiz a few years ago. That one were I didn't get a match of over 4% (turns out the highest was 8%), my lowest match from two years ago:

-2% Jehovah's Witnesses

That's negative two percent. :P
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel... that makes me feel ANGRY!
— Robot Devil

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 11 Apr 2018, 17:14

dande48 wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 08:58
nibbler wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 08:42
I've thought about this before. I think if my wife wouldn't be so intensely opposed, I'd open up one of Comte's "Temple for Humanity". We'd have hymns and sacraments, and baptisms, and wonderful sermons... only God wouldn't have much to do with it.
The only religion I'm interested in starting is a fictional one in a fictional universe because worldbuilding is cool. I'm personally done with organized religion if I can't make my LDS membership work.

I could see myself starting a "church" of secular humanism, but it would really just be a place for discussing TED talks and scientific discoveries, how to improve oneself, and how to improve the world around us. So SM and EQ/RS essentially, just without the religious baggage.

The world building perk of exaltation is one of the few things I still find alluring about Mormonism. At this point, I'm not sure all the stuff I don't like is worth it just to create worlds.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Sometimes our journeys take us to unexpected places. That is a truly beautiful thing.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 13 Apr 2018, 12:17

The only issue I have with this sort of assessment is that, by necessity, it only compares to orthodox stances. I think my views on many things are perfectly in line with what I see as the pure core of our theology (which is remarkably universalist), but that can't be measured properly in a form like this. A number of the questions simply didn't have an answer that matched my beliefs adequately.

With that, Liberal Quakerism was my highest (84%), the LDS Church was at (32%), and Jehovah's Witnesses was last (13%). The central issue for me is that I abhor mainstream Protestant theology in some key ways, so any assessment that doesn't weight elements by including a "deal breaker" category is just a very broad, inaccurate brush stroke.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken