StayLDS and NOMs to be featured tomorrow on RadioWest

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
johndehlin

Post by johndehlin » 06 May 2014, 18:42

StayLDS and NOMs to be featured tomorrow on RadioWest. FYI.

http://radiowest.kuer.org/post/new-order-mormons

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 06 May 2014, 22:27

Hi John, thanks for dropping by. I appreciate your continued championing of the cause.

Can you or anyone make the point that there's probably a difference between a "stayLDS" Mormon and a NOM? Or at least a spectrum of perspectives?

I participate in both forums and I think perhaps it's best described as being in the same "place" but facing in different directions.

It seems that the majority voice on NOM are more in a waiting room. Wishing they could leave but not able to due to work/family commitments. On the other hand I feel this forum had a majority voice of more active will to stay.

There's a place for both perspectives and forums. I find myself half way up the spectrum. Sometimes facing one way and sometimes facing the other.

johndehlin

Re: StayLDS and NOMs to be featured tomorrow on RadioWest

Post by johndehlin » 07 May 2014, 03:05

mackay11 wrote:Hi John, thanks for dropping by. I appreciate your continued championing of the cause.

Can you or anyone make the point that there's probably a difference between a "stayLDS" Mormon and a NOM? Or at least a spectrum of perspectives?

I participate in both forums and I think perhaps it's best described as being in the same "place" but facing in different directions.

It seems that the majority voice on NOM are more in a waiting room. Wishing they could leave but not able to due to work/family commitments. On the other hand I feel this forum had a majority voice of more active will to stay.

There's a place for both perspectives and forums. I find myself half way up the spectrum. Sometimes facing one way and sometimes facing the other.
Will do! Thanks for weighing in, mackay11!!!

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 May 2014, 07:33

Yes, please.

I do not consider myself to be any kind of Mormon, and certainly not a NOM. Please make sure that it's crystal clear that we at StayLDS are simply a support forum for people who struggle in some way OR see things differently than many members but want to stay involved to whatever degree we can.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 07 May 2014, 09:08

Hi John, If you get a chance, I'd appreciate it if you could let people know that there is an incredibly diverse collection of people at StayLDS. We haven't replaced LDS with StayLDS... There are few mantras at StayLDS other than courtesy. We have people that believe there is no God at all and others who believe JS was a real prophet, with wild scattering in the areas between. Many, but not all of us, still go to Church. Many still have callings. I do. Just like Ray, I'm not a NOM.
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -

mom3

Post by mom3 » 07 May 2014, 22:32

Great Job John.

Thank you for making our points so clearly. I really appreciated your words. I even learned more about some of the other non-traditional brothers and sisters we have. Good luck on your journey.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman