Staying LDS in the 1950s

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
On Own Now

Staying LDS in the 1950s

Post by On Own Now »

This article was published by The Nation, May, 1952 (that's 62 years ago, for the arithmetically challenged).

It's an article written by Lowry Nelson, a professor of sociology who had taught at BYU, University of Minnesota and USU. What's interesting to me is this could have been written today. His specific topic was the priesthood/temple ban that was then in force, and would remain so for 26 more years, and it's eerily prophetic to read what he had to say. But there are many good elements that are generic and could be applied to struggles with Church doctrine in 2014. For that reason, I've included it as a separate topic. It's not really about race and priesthood, but about a difference of opinion with the Church. A couple of quotes:
A very real difficulty is the fact that those who disapprove the church’s attitude have no way of expressing their point of view.
However, my knowledge of the deep humanitarianism of the Mormon people leads me to think that if the question could be openly discussed they would line up on the side of justice.

Here's the article:

https://ia801003.us.archive.org/26/item ... 0Negro.pdf
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Re: Staying LDS in the 1950s

Post by Old-Timer »

Thanks - and I LOVE the second quote.

I also believe open discussion is the key to so much, since, by and large, Mormons really are good, caring, loving people.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Ann

Post by Ann »

"The upshot is that discussions by interested persons are largely sub rosa."
Now that all these conversations aren't secret or private, I wonder what an appropriate term for their relationship to the church would be. Anyone know Latin?
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11
nibbler

Post by nibbler »

Thanks for sharing. The more things change the more they stay the same.

It pains me to say this but it's difficult when the vision of the general membership of the church outstrips the vision of her prophets and seers.
I kept a diary right after I was born. Day 1: Tired from the move. Day 2: Everyone thinks I'm an idiot.
— Steven Wright
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

Like.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."