Linger Longer?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Linger Longer?

Post by DarkJedi » 27 Apr 2014, 07:07

For those unaware (because I don't think they happen everywhere), some wards have "Linger Longer" potluck dinners, usually monthly but sometimes less often, after church. Our ward does (monthly), I have never been, and actually neither has my more orthodox wife. Other than not being there for meetings, I wouldn't go any way - isn't three hours long enough as it is? And, there seems to be a lot of work involved with it - set up, clean up, etc. - is that keeping the Sabbath? (I know that depends on your perspective.) Our ward tends to schedule things on Sunday (ward council, PEC, BYC, Addiction Recovery, etc.) just because it's easier, despite counsel to try to not do so. They used to have early morning seminary on Sunday mornings (and took Fridays off). Linger Longer just fits in with that whole idea (hence there are rarely other ward activities).

So, what do you outside the box thinkers (and outside the block) thinkers have to say about Linger Longer? Or just Sunday meetings and activities in general?
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Re: Linger Longer?

Post by Roy » 27 Apr 2014, 07:42

I would LOVE linger longer. I sometimes see our church experience as drudgery and sacrifice that must be endured for the sake of our beliefs. The linger longer would be the antithesis of this - just good food and good people.

Of course I suppose that some could see it as another demand on their time. It helps for me that I don't feel especially compelled to attend any church meetings that I don't want to.
DarkJedi wrote:And, there seems to be a lot of work involved with it - set up, clean up, etc. - is that keeping the Sabbath? (I know that depends on your perspective.)
Especially if you see the Sabbath as Saturday. :ugeek:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 27 Apr 2014, 08:17

I have only heard of these in the context of young single adult wards. Both my daughters who attend such wards have talked of "linger longers" usually done on fast Sunday (to break the fast.) I've never been in a ward that did one. I assumed that socializing is at least ONE purpose of the young single adult wards and is done to help meet that purpose.
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 27 Apr 2014, 08:24

I agree with Roy. I would like to see & interact with members on a more informal basis.
That way we reveal who we really are. We are not as "scripted".
I don't think there are enough of these opportunities.
For these types of events, I like to cook & give my wife a break.

Oneofmany

Post by Oneofmany » 27 Apr 2014, 09:14

I have been in a number of wards that do linger longer and yes those wards were young single wards... IMO they have never been branded as compulsory and really were just a time for ward members to get together and socialize in a none structured way. Personally, I do not like to stay to them and don't because I do not socialize. That said, usually they take less than 10 minutes to set up for (non-cooking portion) and if everyone helps to clean up take even less time to take down. Compared to cooking your own meal on a per person basis the actual work involved is usually less. I have no issue with them. Like most programs they work for some and don't for others. I do think in general they help bond a ward together as the wards I was in that had better chew and chows seemed less likely to have well defined clicks.

Oneofmany

Post by Oneofmany » 27 Apr 2014, 09:18

Sorry for posting twice, but I forgot to respond to the Sunday meetings in general. My family and extended family doesn't do them as a general rule ever since the first presidency said that Sundays were for the family and we aren't afraid to tell people that. I have not been to a CES fireside in over ten years. (Note: there are exceptions to this general rule.)

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 27 Apr 2014, 09:26

Oneofmany wrote:Sorry for posting twice, but I forgot to respond to the Sunday meetings in general. My family and extended family doesn't do them as a general rule ever since the first presidency said that Sundays were for the family and we aren't afraid to tell people that. I have not been to a CES fireside in over ten years. (Note: there are exceptions to this general rule.)
I obviously agree with you on this part. What if you were YMP or EQP? All the meetings you are supposed to be at are on Sunday mornings here.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 27 Apr 2014, 11:57

We have them once a month but not on Sundays. Maybe with that in mind It's not a linger longer so much as it's a come an additional night.

I think just eating together helps to strengthen bonds. It helps people get closer.

Recently I've heard a few complaints that there's no agenda to the linger longer meetings. "People just show up and eat. We need to accomplish something." I really, really smack my forehead internally when I hear this. I've bitten my tongue in the past but I'd like to point out (and possibly will the next time I hear the suggestion) that perhaps our linger longers are so well attended because there's no other motive other than getting together and eating and socializing.

Sure, toss in some lectures on how we need to be doing our part on missionary work. Sure, toss in an activity or two that only a few people are interested in doing but all are obligated to participate in. Sure, drive people away.

I just don't understand why the church can't have a simple activity where people just get together. There's always this itch to "accomplish something" which usually translates into an overly aggressive attempt to pressure the attendees into do something for the church.

[/rant]
If one dream dies, dream another dream. If you get knocked down, get back up and go again.
― Joel Osteen

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 27 Apr 2014, 13:00

I absolutely love the concept of sharing a meal in a relaxed setting where the only point is to socialize and enjoy food. I would love it even more if leaders would conduct more stuff electronically and do away with some meetings in order to have such meals more often. To me, that is one of the practical aspects of true religion.

As for whether it is keeping the Sabbath Day holy, the Pharisees certainly didn't think so - but Jesus didn't seem to mind. :P ;)
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » 27 Apr 2014, 18:20

I lived in two different branches that covered large areas. We had pot lucks once a month after the block. Most of the people looked forward to them.

Now I'm in an Idaho ward and I can't wait to get home. The ward is experimenting with a linger longer. Not a full blown potluck though. We've had one but I missed it because of other commitments. I'm not sure how successful it was.
“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” Henry David Thoreau