General Conference April 2014

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Re: General Conference April 2014

Post by DarkJedi » 06 Apr 2014, 10:47

Ray DeGraw wrote:President Monson talking about love is a perfect way to end this session. This is a great talk.

I thought it wouldn't be possible to top the Priesthood session last night for overall impact. I was wrong. This session has been phenomenal.
Who can argue with a prophet talking about the two great commandments? Of course, if you really listen to him, that's what he's usually talking about - just not so pointedly.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 06 Apr 2014, 11:03

Probably the best session of the conference that I've seen. Definitely helped me feel like I can StayLDS for a bit longer.

Uchtdorf: Gratitude to overcome crisis, gratitude despite our circumstances. Endings aren't satisfying because we're eternal. A bit of a mixed bag with me because I struggle to believe that there is an afterlife.

Stevens: I loved this talk. In it I saw the purpose of the gospel, the power to deliver. I was also reminded that we are helped in the way we need it for our growth, to look at a FC as an opportunity to draw closer to divine qualities.

Bednar: At first I thought... brace yourself... then it turned out to be a good talk about how trials are opportunities. Is the load producing traction for faith and helping us avoid getting stuck? The load should be helping us return to god. Happiness is not the absence of a load, the load is a part of the plan. Be agents that act rather than objects that are acted upon.

Monson: Love and kindness, aka the gospel.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » 06 Apr 2014, 12:07

I enjoy looking on this forum for the insights and comments during and after GC, in part to see what I might have missed, as well as to see if anyone else feels the same as I do about various talks. Thanks for your comments.

I missed all the sessions yesterday, but thought the session this morning (Sunday) was good because it started very well and ended very well. Uchtdorf again presented a thoughtful and inspiring message, and Monson managed to stay on-topic with an excellent message--one that should be, in my opinion, an overt part of every session of every conference. The gospel is Christ is love, so making the obvious obvious, pounding that into our thick skulls, would probably be very good for the members to hear more regularly, as well as increase our validity as Christians to those outside the church.

I thought Ballard's talk was unnecessary, and as even he admitted, was a repeat of a previous talk he'd given. Maybe a reminder that we have Jesus in our name is good to state to the world on occasion, but taking a whole talk to do it was completely boring... in my opinion. Plus, I didn't enjoy the phrase "We BELONG to the church..." because that's not how I view my membership.

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 06 Apr 2014, 12:46

Cnsl1 wrote:I didn't enjoy the phrase "We BELONG to the church..." because that's not how I view my membership.
I heard a mother say recently how proud she was to see her daughter write in a school notebook: "I belong to the church of jesus christ of latter-day saints." The phrase suddenly made me shudder.

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 06 Apr 2014, 13:03

I don't see "belong" in that way... I've always equated it it with "I belong in the Chruch"... in other words, I have a place there, I have a community there. I understand the angst over the way it is termed, sometimes.
Last edited by On Own Now on 06 Apr 2014, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

Oneofmany

Post by Oneofmany » 06 Apr 2014, 13:08

Has anyone else noticed that it seems all the sessions are letting out about 5 minutes short of the 2 hour mark, and all the prayers are relatively short and not miniature talks by themselves?

wornoutsneakers

Post by wornoutsneakers » 06 Apr 2014, 13:17

I didnt realize how bad of shape Boyd K Packer is in?? Is he unable to stand?

Oneofmany

Post by Oneofmany » 06 Apr 2014, 13:24

He has been going downhill for some time. He didn't stand for the last conference (if my memory is correct). This has the sound of a fair well talk.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 Apr 2014, 13:30

Pres. Packer's talk was very touching. As I've said here, when he stays away from sex as his topic, his messages tend to be uplifting.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » 06 Apr 2014, 13:32

Did Packer just say he saw Jesus? Or, IMPLY that he did?