General Conference April 2014

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
nibbler

General Conference April 2014

Post by nibbler » 03 Apr 2014, 16:36

I figured that rather than wait for the thread I'd just go ahead and create it.

I've had a question about GC in general, I've asked before but I think it fell through the cracks. When did the church start the current format of GC? Two Saturday sessions with a priesthood session that follows and two Sunday sessions? I'm assuming it wasn't that way since the foundation of the church. Just curious about the history of the format and why it is the way it is.

Even when fully orthodox I didn't always look forward to GC weekend with the same zeal as others. I hate to admit it, but many times I viewed GC as "the lost weekend." I'd toil at work all week, be tethered to a TV all weekend, just enough time between sessions to make sure you can't make any plans or get things done, and then I'd find myself right back at work feeling like I needed to take a few vacation days to unwind. It was like slogging through 12 consecutive working days to get to another weekend.

I admit, part of that was me being selfish, I wanted my "me" time and there was none to be had over the GC weekend. Another part is that I'm extremely OCD with time. If I got out of one session I knew that the next started in two hours, which was well below the time threshold that I require to convince myself that it's ok not to focus on the next thing on the schedule. Watch a session, religiously watch the clock until the next, weekend gone in a poof, the stress of time management during it all wore me out. :crazy:

That also got me thinking. I can imagine conference being longer in the past and what we have now represents the shortened version. Still in some ways I see it in a similar light as the 3 hour block. Sometimes people think more=better. What is accomplished in 10 hours of meetings that couldn't be handled in say... 6? A general priesthood session and two Sunday sessions.

Yeah, yeah, you only have to watch as much as you want. No one is forcing you to watch any of it, in fact most people probably don't. Still.

[/rant]

Anyway, here's to hoping this conference is a good one. Time to watch for the first time after crawling back from my FC. I'm hoping that this year the good stands out and the bad fades quickly from my consciousness.
If one dream dies, dream another dream. If you get knocked down, get back up and go again.
― Joel Osteen

Unknown

Re: General Conference April 2014

Post by Unknown » 03 Apr 2014, 18:49

I spent last GC weekend watching an entire season of Breaking Bad. It was the first time I ever missed it. I'm actually looking forward to it this year, more than I have in a while. I'm hoping to see it through new eyes, and like you, nibbler, focus on what's uplifting and just chuckle at the drivel.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Apr 2014, 04:41

In my most TBM days I didn't miss a session, even driving the 20 miles to the church and spending the day there to watch each session via satellite. I have to agree, Nibbler, those were lost weekends and even in my most TBM days I felt that. Later, in a different place and married with a family, we got satellite TV just because they carried BYUTV and we could watch conference at home where we gathered the children to watch each session. Prior to that we traded off going to sessions and staying home with the kids except for Sunday morning. There was some advantage to BYUTV, in that we could do some things between sessions and even do things like cooking and light work and hear the conference. But it was still lost. Now, we still get GC at home but don't fret about conflicts with other activities - my son is planning to go see Divergent with is friends tomorrow afternoon, for instance (and with the blessing of my TBM wife). I like it because if the speaker starts to go someplace I don't particularly care to hear about I can just get up and leave. I was actually in the midst of tuning out Pres. Uchtdorf in the beginning of his talk because it seemed like he was telling everyone why they should be members and what the great benefits of the church are when he caught my attention with the part about if it being so great why people leave. I almost got up to do something else, but I still would have heard him. I also do like that priesthood session is now broadcast.

I don't know when the current format started. I can actually imagine them being longer in the old days, but I agree, I would go for less time. There's really nothing new there. Maybe have a Saturday session and a Sunday session of a couple hours each and do priesthood at a different time like women's conference.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 05 Apr 2014, 09:57

I do want to follow the line of thought and spirit of the message, but I was confused at times with Elder Holland's message. I imagine the people that listened to Jesus found his message to be sweeter than what they got from the Pharisees, so I'm not sure where the disconnect is between what EH was saying and what I was hearing.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Apr 2014, 10:00

Orson wrote:I do want to follow the line of thought and spirit of the message, but I was confused at times with Elder Holland's message. I imagine the people that listened to Jesus found his message to be sweeter than what they got from the Pharisees, so I'm not sure where the disconnect is between what EH was saying and what I was hearing.
Ditto. His talk had some really good, fundamental gospel points (love, following Christ) but they were mixed in with fire and brimstone hard line stuff that really put me off. He seemed to be saying that you can only get and give love if you follow Christ in the church prescribed manner and that you pretty much had to be free of sin.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 05 Apr 2014, 10:13

And yet Sin = lacking in Love.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 05 Apr 2014, 10:26

Neil L. Anderson's talk has made me reach for the mute button. Chasm between the worlld and the church standards growing wider and people slipping away from the church. Also SSA nonsense and now telling us the only safety is in listening to the words of prophets.

Really!!!!! Was it safe to describe mixed-race marriage as "repugnant?" Nope. There is no safety in listening to the bias and culturally influenced opinions of a group of aging Americans.

I'm done with this. Let me know when Elder Uchtdorf is back on.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Apr 2014, 10:40

Orson wrote:And yet Sin = lacking in Love.
Does it?

My Introduction

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Apr 2014, 10:41

mackay11 wrote:Neil L. Anderson's talk has made me reach for the mute button. Chasm between the worlld and the church standards growing wider and people slipping away from the church. Also SSA nonsense and now telling us the only safety is in listening to the words of prophets.

Really!!!!! Was it safe to describe mixed-race marriage as "repugnant?" Nope. There is no safety in listening to the bias and culturally influenced opinions of a group of aging Americans.

I'm done with this. Let me know when Elder Uchtdorf is back on.
Anderson's talk sent me to another room as well. He very much contradicted himself on the whole tolerance thing - we should be tolerant, but he's obviously not. Maybe we only have to tolerate what we agree with but everybody else has to tolerate everything?

My Introduction

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 05 Apr 2014, 10:48

mackay11 wrote:Neil L. Anderson's talk has made me reach for the mute button.
I think he did make a great point that we are not to disparage those with whom we disagree. The example was the girl did not argue. I appreciate that he said it was two faithful church member that had a different opinions. I know most members will not see this message but I appreciate that it is there to pull out.