Another New Essay: Becoming Like God

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
LDSThomas

Another New Essay: Becoming Like God

Post by LDSThomas » 25 Feb 2014, 14:44

The church released another new essay today, Becoming Like God.

https://www.lds.org/topics/becoming-like-god?lang=eng

Like. :clap:

LDSThomas

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Another New Essay: Becoming Like God

Post by Curt Sunshine » 25 Feb 2014, 15:56

Excellent. I really like this one.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 25 Feb 2014, 16:31

I do really like the article. When I started reading it, I was honestly hoping that it would refute the concept of becoming gods as knowable doctrine and that it would focus on attaining 'godliness' or taking on attributes of God without necessarily becoming a god. So... I was mildly disappointed as I read, but by the end, I was very happy to have such a well-written and coherent statement. I love how it emphasizes LDS anticipation of exaltation as being very different from the pop-culture caricature.

What is interesting to me is that I believe this article is actually an expansion of what is accepted as doctrine. Some of the statements in the article are not what I would have considered to be stated doctrine. I have always viewed concepts like Mother in Heaven, statements like Lorenzo Snow's or even JS's King Follet discourse to be slightly fringe and 'possibilities' rather than hard doctrine, borderline mysteries that were hinted at, but not understood well enough to declare. Yet, this article talks about those as specific and clear teachings of the Church. The conclusion positions these teachings as doctrine.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

cwald

Post by cwald » 25 Feb 2014, 19:11

I think most people would have to work hard to be critical of this essay.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

cwald

Post by cwald » 25 Feb 2014, 19:11

This article represents the best of Mormonism, IMO.

Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

turinturambar

Re:

Post by turinturambar » 25 Feb 2014, 19:42

cwald wrote:This article represents the best of Mormonism, IMO.

I agree. This essay was well done. This is the stuff that keeps me around.
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 13:2‎)‎

Cadence

Post by Cadence » 25 Feb 2014, 20:24

I liked it. So much better than the apologetic garbage of the first essays. I have always thought this was the central tenant of Mormonism. Without this the church is nothing, The church should embrace this and expand on it. The Prophet should get revelation to enhance our understanding. This should be the whole of Mormonism. But sadly we miss the mark and stew in trivial and mundane issues of sexual morality and arcaic ordinances as though those things elevate us to being like god.

Now it is probably all bogus, but if Joseph got anything profound this was it.
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 25 Feb 2014, 20:27

Almost thou persuadest me to be a Mormon . . .

I couldn't agree more - this is Mormonism at its absolute best, embracing what is our unique doctrine, and doing so in a way that makes it sound perfectly rational and beautiful. Bravo!

church0333

Post by church0333 » 26 Feb 2014, 00:21

I appreciate the honestly in this essay but is it really doctrine because JS made a comment about it in a speech and decades later another leader added to it. It is not really part of the scriptures and there is no modern canonized scripture on it, so why do we believe it? He said that the garden of Eden was in MO, so does that make it so. Many of the things he declared in the D & C did not happen, but we believe this. He couldn't be honest about his wives but we base what happens in the afterlife on his word? I just don't think we know or at least I don't know. I like the thought of always progressing but I don't think I want to become a god some day. I don't even want to be a home teacher most of the time.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 26 Feb 2014, 03:04

church0333, as the explanation points out, this isn't a uniquely Mormon concept that is based on a comment by Joseph Smith. That would be the idea that God used to be a mortal man - and that certainly isn't modern Mormon doctrine in the sense of being taught from the General Conference pulpit or emphasized in manuals - and the explanation clearly doesn't label that idea solid doctrine. It merely mentions the couplet and then focuses on the last part. Becoming like God is a central theme in the Bible (with FAR more references in both the OT and the NT than are listed that at least imply the goal of becoming like God, I would say it is THE central theme), and theosis is alive and well within the Eastern Orthodox tradition.

One of the reasons I like this explanation is that it clearly states that the idea of becoming like God is not a new thing taught by Joseph Smith but rather an old teaching that was restored by Joseph. Many Mormons don't understand that, so I would love to have this be the source of Sacrament Meeting talks throughout the Church. I know I will use it next month when the topic of our Sunday School lessons is the Atonement.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken