Either the heavens, or the leaders, have a sense of humour

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
mom3

Re: Either the heavens, or the leaders, have a sense of humo

Post by mom3 » 28 Feb 2014, 05:27

Great Lesson. Thanks for sharing it with us.

My grandfather was the recipient of a true hometeacher. My grandfather walked away from the church before I was born, before my mom was even married. All my life I assumed he wasn't a member, not because he was evil or did bad things, just he never mentioned church and never went. I was totally stunned when I overheard my grandmother, who also never set foot in a church to my knowledge, telling my mom about the "Ward Teachers". I asked mom about it later, sure enough a home teacher had been assigned to my grandparents, instead of the standard shirt and tie visit, this man became a friend. Every year when it was harvest time, the hometeacher helped pick pomegranates, took them home to his wife and they made jelly with them for my grand parents to give with their Christmas gifts. He helped Grandpa help the neighbors. If Grandpa was helping his neighbor build the fence, most likely the home teacher was right along side helping, too.

In the last year of my grandfather's life, he chose to return to church. No one knows why. All we know is that he called the home teacher and asked if he could get a ride with him. My grandfather attended every Sunday from then on until he passed away ten months later.

That home teacher befriended my family for more than 40 years and taught me a great lesson. It's one I need to live up to more in my life. Your lesson brought back that memory. Thank you.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Forgotten_Charity

Post by Forgotten_Charity » 28 Feb 2014, 06:16

mom3 wrote:Great Lesson. Thanks for sharing it with us.

My grandfather was the recipient of a true hometeacher. My grandfather walked away from the church before I was born, before my mom was even married. All my life I assumed he wasn't a member, not because he was evil or did bad things, just he never mentioned church and never went. I was totally stunned when I overheard my grandmother, who also never set foot in a church to my knowledge, telling my mom about the "Ward Teachers". I asked mom about it later, sure enough a home teacher had been assigned to my grandparents, instead of the standard shirt and tie visit, this man became a friend. Every year when it was harvest time, the hometeacher helped pick pomegranates, took them home to his wife and they made jelly with them for my grand parents to give with their Christmas gifts. He helped Grandpa help the neighbors. If Grandpa was helping his neighbor build the fence, most likely the home teacher was right along side helping, too.

In the last year of my grandfather's life, he chose to return to church. No one knows why. All we know is that he called the home teacher and asked if he could get a ride with him. My grandfather attended every Sunday from then on until he passed away ten months later.

That home teacher befriended my family for more than 40 years and taught me a great lesson. It's one I need to live up to more in my life. Your lesson brought back that memory. Thank you.
Wow, thank you for that life experience mom3, I am truely touched, uplifted by it! :thumbup:

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 28 Feb 2014, 09:57

That is the pure Gospel in action, and it is glorious.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken