Going Public?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Going Public?

Post by Curt Sunshine » 20 Jan 2014, 15:47

I have been in a position to be part of the hiring process for quite a few years now, and I regularly Google candidates. I would not use religion against them, but I've seen some things that absolutely influenced final decisions.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Life_Journey_of_Matt

Post by Life_Journey_of_Matt » 20 Jan 2014, 16:06

Curtis wrote:I have been in a position to be part of the hiring process for quite a few years now, and I regularly Google candidates. I would not use religion against them, but I've seen some things that absolutely influenced final decisions.
Understood, and I think it's an extremely valid point that we should be vigilant about what we make available to the world, and we should try to understand the consequences that may follow, depending on what we make available to the world.
--------------------
Thanks Forgotten_Charity.

I have opened up to all of my immediate family and some of my closest friends already. My church leaders are in the know. It may be valuable to note that I no longer hold a temple recommend, but I'm perfectly at peace with that. I've already made several comments on Facebook that would incriminate me as unorthodox. I understand what you mean by having people try to convince me or silence me. I became a project to my mother-in-law initially, but she's finding acceptance. Here's something one of my close friends just posted on my Facebook timeline this week:
So, here's the thing...I am reading the Book if Mormon right now as a part of a challenge to the youth in our ward right now and every time I read I come across something that makes me think if you. So I decided to start sharing them with you, I hope that's ok.

Today as part of my reading I read Jacob 7. A great chapter that has a lot if meaning for me but the verses that made me think of my awesome friend Matt, were 3&4. "And he labored diligently that he might lead away the hearts of the people, insomuch that he did lead away many hearts; and he knowing that I, Jacob, had faith in Christ who should come, he sought much opportunity that he might come unto me. And he was learned, that he had a perfect knowledge of the language of the people; wherefore, he could use much flattery, and much power of speech, according to the power if the devil"
I have a conversation going on with her right now about whether I remind her of Sherem or if some of the people that inspire me right now remind her of Sherem. Either way, I'm not bothered by this in the least. I find the stories of Sherem and Korihor to be a bit petty, and they seem to teach people to fear their doubts, their reasoning, and their conscience in the name of faith and obedience. In my opinion, both sides in these stories are too confident in their stances for me to be comfortable with either viewpoint being presented. One side says "There's a God!" and the other side says "There's no God!", and neither can prove their point. I tend to lean more on Alma's reasoning, but that's far from making me want to believe everything Alma says.
"So oft in theologic wars / The disputants, I ween, / Rail on in utter ignorance / Of what each other mean / And prate about an Elephant / Not one of them has seen." -- from "The Blind Men and the Elephant" by John Godfrey Saxe

"The faith that stands on authority is not faith. The reliance on authority measures the decline of religion, the withdrawal of the soul." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My ongoing story: http://precariousironrod.com/

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 20 Jan 2014, 20:51

I clearly enjoy the anonymity here and have no plans to out myself any more than I already am for the reasons others mention here.
Last edited by DarkJedi on 21 Jan 2014, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 21 Jan 2014, 07:12

The only time I would go public would be if:

a) I cared nothing for the church experience anymore -- for my self or my family
b) I was independently wealthy and didn't care about me employment

Other than that, StayLDS is as public as it gets.

SD
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 21 Jan 2014, 08:04

Curtis wrote:I have been in a position to be part of the hiring process for quite a few years now, and I regularly Google candidates. I would not use religion against them, but I've seen some things that absolutely influenced final decisions.
This is a large part of why I don't have a Facebook account.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Daeruin

Post by Daeruin » 21 Jan 2014, 09:33

DarkJedi wrote:This is a large part of why I don't have a Facebook account.
I have a Facebook account, but almost never share anything publicly. Only my friends get to see my posts.
"Not all those who wander are lost" —Tolkien

Life_Journey_of_Matt

Post by Life_Journey_of_Matt » 21 Jan 2014, 10:02

Daeruin wrote:I have a Facebook account, but almost never share anything publicly. Only my friends get to see my posts.
Thanks for pointing this out. This is what I meant when I referred to sharing things on Facebook (posting things for only those I've networked with).
"So oft in theologic wars / The disputants, I ween, / Rail on in utter ignorance / Of what each other mean / And prate about an Elephant / Not one of them has seen." -- from "The Blind Men and the Elephant" by John Godfrey Saxe

"The faith that stands on authority is not faith. The reliance on authority measures the decline of religion, the withdrawal of the soul." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My ongoing story: http://precariousironrod.com/

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 21 Jan 2014, 11:37

Every person's situation is different in some way - and, usually, in some important way. These decisions have to be made according to those situations - and it's absolutely fine if different people reach different decisions.

I only say: What you post is public, to varying degrees. Realize that - and don't blow a gasket if reactions aren't what you hope they will be. At least, with Facebook, people you invite to be "friends" aren't hiding behind aliases, so you know who is saying what.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken