Going Public?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Life_Journey_of_Matt

Going Public?

Post by Life_Journey_of_Matt » 19 Jan 2014, 18:50

Hi everyone,

As I had said in my last post, I've been off the radar for a little while. I hope everyone is doing well.

I know a lot of you blog because I've seen many of your blogs. I recently decided to join the blogging ranks for various reasons.

What I would like to know from all you bloggers is, when did you go public? (i.e. slap your full name and photo on there, share it with all your friends and family on Facebook, basically expose your true story to everyone you know) I know exposing yourself entirely as an unorthodox Mormon can cause backlash, but I think I'm ready for everyone to know me. I want them to know my real story, know where I've been, know what I'm going through, know where I stand, and know where I'm going. I'm starting to think I'm ready to take that step and make peace with what follows.

Here it is if you're at all interested. http://precariousironrod.com/.
"So oft in theologic wars / The disputants, I ween, / Rail on in utter ignorance / Of what each other mean / And prate about an Elephant / Not one of them has seen." -- from "The Blind Men and the Elephant" by John Godfrey Saxe

"The faith that stands on authority is not faith. The reliance on authority measures the decline of religion, the withdrawal of the soul." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My ongoing story: http://precariousironrod.com/

Daeruin

Re: Going Public?

Post by Daeruin » 19 Jan 2014, 23:28

I just read your first two posts and enjoyed them quite a bit. I appreciate what it takes to put yourself out there like that.
"Not all those who wander are lost" —Tolkien

Ann

Post by Ann » 20 Jan 2014, 01:13

Thanks for sharing this. I don't blog, but I will be really interested in what you decide to do. It seems like a good way to break the tension of not feeling authentic.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 20 Jan 2014, 01:46

Thanks for sharing your blog.

Remember that once the cat is out of the bag, it doesn't go back in. I've linked my blog in my signature. I occasionally mention it to a few people. I've recently shared it with my mum. She's reading through the whole thing. But we've been chatting at length for about a year. She has some very strong convictions, but is also aware of the need for a nuanced view of some things.

Personally I think it's better, for me, to stay anonymous but send the link to people I know selectively. Not just post a link to Facebook. It's a personal place to write. I don't think I want the whole world to know it's me. I also want to write exactly what I want and not feel like I have to be careful based on who's reading.

I have a "corporate" reputation that matters too. I don't really want my clients and colleagues to stumble across it. I'd rather keep it away from the stake leaders eyes too. I could do without the hassle.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 20 Jan 2014, 10:41

I have a "corporate" reputation that matters too. I don't really want my clients and colleagues to stumble across it.

That is a VERY important thing to consider. It's not all about church members and family. For many people, their job matters a lot in things like this.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Life_Journey_of_Matt

Post by Life_Journey_of_Matt » 20 Jan 2014, 11:59

Curtis wrote:I have a "corporate" reputation that matters too. I don't really want my clients and colleagues to stumble across it.

That is a VERY important thing to consider. It's not all about church members and family. For many people, their job matters a lot in things like this.
I'm not trying to be combative, but do we have examples? Are we talking about someone in Utah who is a real-estate agent or psychologist who doesn't want clients to Google their name and find their spiritual musing before finding their professional page? Are we worried about our own kind not following this basic tenant of the faith?
We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.
Maybe these statements just need some more nuancing for me to fully understand the concern.
"So oft in theologic wars / The disputants, I ween, / Rail on in utter ignorance / Of what each other mean / And prate about an Elephant / Not one of them has seen." -- from "The Blind Men and the Elephant" by John Godfrey Saxe

"The faith that stands on authority is not faith. The reliance on authority measures the decline of religion, the withdrawal of the soul." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Roy

Post by Roy » 20 Jan 2014, 12:13

I don't do it for all of the above.

I don't want all family to know where I stand. Many would interpret that as "falling away" or "losing testimony." I would want to participate in family priesthood blessings should the need arise. DW's family is worse. It could be a source of gossip and evidence of major character flaws among them.

I don't want ward members to be able to tie me to certain positions. At church, I portray myself as quirky but harmless. My worst case scenario would be somebody passing direct quotes on to the bishop and having to defend my position or backpeddle and eat my words.

I also agree about the corporate. I have been googled before job interviews and I wouldn't want this sort of stuff to distract from my qualifications. (not that it would be embarrasing in my line of work - just irrelevant!)

That is what feels right for me. For you it might be different.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Daeruin

Post by Daeruin » 20 Jan 2014, 12:17

I am in the process of applying for a job with the church right now. I wouldn't want them reading about my faith crisis at all.
"Not all those who wander are lost" —Tolkien

Life_Journey_of_Matt

Post by Life_Journey_of_Matt » 20 Jan 2014, 13:48

Daeruin wrote:I am in the process of applying for a job with the church right now. I wouldn't want them reading about my faith crisis at all.
I hear the church can be good to work for, so I hope you find what you need. I know we're all in different places, but I don't think I could work for the church right now (unless they paid me to tell them what I think). :smile: Ok, maybe if my work was directly aiding some of their humanitarian projects, but that's probably about it.
Roy wrote:I don't want all family to know where I stand. Many would interpret that as "falling away" or "losing testimony." I would want to participate in family priesthood blessings should the need arise. DW's family is worse. It could be a source of gossip and evidence of major character flaws among them.
I used to feel the same way, but the superficiality is unfulfilling to me. If I disagree with someone, especially family, I should be able to respectfully say I disagree.
Roy wrote:I also agree about the corporate. I have been googled before job interviews and I wouldn't want this sort of stuff to distract from my qualifications. (not that it would be embarrasing in my line of work - just irrelevant!)
1. How do you know they Googled you? (not saying I don't believe you, just wondering)
2. Do you really want to work for someone who lets themselves get distracted by things that have nothing to do with the job anyway? We're not talking about posting racy photos on a blog of the sweet party from last weekend. We're talking about attaching a name to a blog that discusses what shapes my morals and convictions. A blog that talks about what makes me want to be a good person. It's not going to be the case for everyone, but I think some people may have more to gain from their openness than they would have to lose by putting themselves out there.

Forgotten_Charity

Post by Forgotten_Charity » 20 Jan 2014, 15:30

I went public but not with church, although I freely share all available information to
Those who ask who are not members. What I went public with(because of being asked so many
Times was information on marketing strategies to influence out behavior and how they work, marketing terms and claims and what they really mean and the real numbers behind them, how hey are really measured and why they results don't jive with real measurement). I was informed that this could lead to a lawsuit possibly. But the way I figure it, it's peoples right to have access to all available information that effects them directly or indirectly that is shaping their behavior and decisions. Example--- many TVs have a published "dynamic contrast ratio of 7-10,000,000 on them. Real world testing with professional instruments calibrated shows just a mere 800-3000 contrast usually. Very dramatic difference, but compiles take the lake of regulation on testing procedures to
Their advantage in marketing and actually measure the tv black level with the tv turned off in a black room and then white level in a total lite room instead of measuring the difference on the screen between the darkest black
And brightest white at the same time...as contrast implies so they throw a term "Dynamic" in there to not be liable for lawsuits.

Long term I don't know what will happen. But it was so frequently requested of me I tarted publishing it(it gets tiring educating people one by one).

Things like this are of a similar nature. Although I don't feel I could do it just yet because I gave already I gaged in marketing tactics. Doing both would be overkill. Both have + and minus.

Naturally anyone has the right to express themselves in what they believe in a friendly manner.
Just be aware of the possible negatives and accept if you can live with them.

Personally I made my decision because I'm tired of having the rights of large corporations outweigh the rights of the individual. I'm tired if people using "fear" and "examples" out of people to scare them. Basically I've been a Edward snowden all my life. I'm aware if the consequences but I'm tired my "right to make money or public imagine outweighing a persons individual rights to like things they effect them.

Often the church can do the same thing once it detects outsiders or a perceived threat.

I expect that of all corporations however. But if a person is afraid to earnestly speak how that feel in a non threatening manor and they are afraid to, it speaks volumes to the bad atmosphere that creates that fear.

I agree it us superficial to pretend all the time just so that a person isn't judged.
I tend to think if I have to pretend so much as to keep mostly or completely quite about what I believe or have personally gone through and learned, then i don't have a real relationship with family , friends or church.

It would be just an imagined relationship, based in what I wished instead of what really is.

I say go for it if you want, be aware there are those who will try to convince it silence you. But they aren't your real friends if they try to anyway. It can serve as a accidental
Filter to know who your real friends and family are. If you can live with knowing that.