How to Spot Possible Members of the "StayLds Ward?"

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Re: How to Spot Possible Members of the "StayLds Ward?"

Post by DarkJedi » 25 Aug 2014, 19:58

SD, I'd add to the home teaching part let people choose who they teach instead of assigning them. If I could choose who I visit, I'd do much better at it. I don't like going to people I don't really know - and I don't even mind going to less active members if I know them. Make it less of a duty and more of a service. And those long-term inactives who don't even know or remember basic doctrines? Maybe have someone assigned to drop by every year or two.

Oh, and the facial hair/shirt color thing? Two of our high councilors and a bishop in a neighboring ward have facial hair, and anywhere from a third to a half of the high council wear the same colored shirt they wore to work to HC meeting. Not an indicator here.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 25 Aug 2014, 21:07

If you are authentic and make comments that aren't the standard answers, they will come to you, I swear.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 26 Aug 2014, 05:29

SilentDawning wrote:b) HT assignments, but only in the event of actual needs do the HT's go to the family. Further, there is an annual opt-in to the program from Home Teachees. If they dont' respond that they want HT''s, the HT's role is simply to be there if there is a service need. Like a buffer between the Bishop and the unlimited needs of the Ward, but no visits expected.
I like that one. I get the impression that people feel guilt over not doing HT but in most cases the families are perfectly fine without receiving a monthly visit. All that guilt is for nothing. Your plan also accounts for the families that actually want that visit.
SilentDawning wrote:c) There would be something in place that leads to ever-improving teaching, speaking and lesson quality.
I had along winded response but it all came down to: a good lesson is subjective. I mean someone must really like taking turns reading straight out of the Teachings of the Prophets manuals.
SilentDawning wrote:e) There would be a quarterly survey of the Ward regarding the meeting quality, the extent to which members feel uplifted, strengthened, and have the quality of relationships they want. Maybe not those exact metrics, but some kind of metric that measures how people are engaging with the church experience.
That's another tricky one. Can you imagine how the disposed teacher would feel? A survey about satisfaction with church meetings gets distributed, I get released from teaching SS a week later. :cry:
SilentDawning wrote:f) No fast and testimony meeting. The comments are ridiculous half the fime, and I think we lose as many converts over the testimonies as we gain!
How about a compromise? At the start of every school year one sacrament meeting should be dedicated to giving people a forum to come up and tell everyone about what they did over the summer. :twisted: I kid, I kid.
DarkJedi wrote:SD, I'd add to the home teaching part let people choose who they teach instead of assigning them. If I could choose who I visit, I'd do much better at it.
While I like the idea and agree 100% with the reason I just don't think it would work in practice. You'd have half the ward sign up to visit the popular, charismatic young couple and you'd end up with many people completely overlooked. The overlooked would feel miserable about being overlooked and the HT assignments would just be a measure of a family's popularity. As much as I hate the assigned friends program, it's that way for a reason.

I'd be in favor of scrapping the entire HT program but that's a topic for another thread.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
— Henry David Thoreau

SunbeltRed

Post by SunbeltRed » 26 Aug 2014, 07:36

I don't have a good feel on this either. Luckily I have been able to find some great people in my area and have some very close friends who are of the StayLDS ilk. It helps a lot, especially as some are further down their faith transition path and can lend some support and insight. It makes the journey much easier.

In my calling I wear a blue shirt a lot, whenever I can. I do kind of use it as an indicator of non-orthodoxy. I have no idea if anyone notices or cares. No one has ever said anything about it.

Talks and lessons are the best place I think since you get to hear people's actual thoughts. And now that I am on the other side, what people say and don't say is very interesting. Especially when you pick up on thoughts/ideas that you have seen in the bloggernacle being expressed by someone in a comment or talk.

But the approach can be a bit tough...still don't have a great handle on it.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 26 Aug 2014, 10:20

I make a habit of looking over everyone's shoulders at church to see which websites they are looking at on their phones and tablets. Usually Facebook.

No, only kidding!

I think "ye shall know them by their fruits" is the best marker here. Some of us wear white shirts (me), some of us make comments that reveal they've thought a bit about the subject and not just parrotted whichever manual... I swear there are a few of us at leadership level too.

I'm not mad keen on white shirts, but I wear them to keep the peace. I'm not at church to cause an upset. I've got my views and individual testimony, though not the way many people did.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

RagDollSallyUT

Post by RagDollSallyUT » 26 Aug 2014, 11:28

That's why I put UT in my screen name. If anyone here in Utah ever wants to find someone else from UT its fairly obvious. Bountiful specifically. I also wear tank tops outside and don't try to dress as if I am covering garments because I wont wear them. Also if you were every to run into me at a pool you might catch a glimpse of the tattoo I got two years ago. I don't hide. I am right out in public.
Attacked by Christmas Toys? That's strange. That's the second complaint we've had!-Nightmare Before Christmas
We're gonna need a bigger boat.-Jaws
If we are to be saved in an ark, as Noah and his family were, it will be because we build it.-Brigham Young

mercyngrace

Post by mercyngrace » 26 Aug 2014, 11:44

hawkgrrrl wrote:If you are authentic and make comments that aren't the standard answers, they will come to you, I swear.
Until your comments make people uncomfortable. Then they will crucify you.
Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. ~ Luke 7:47

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 26 Aug 2014, 17:21

This is one of my favorite things to do since I became "active" again.
It takes time, patience & a lot of listening.
I have found that a number in my ward haven't necessarily gone through a "crisis of faith".
They naturally question. The questions may not be to challenge the Church or doctrine but to challenge members
to see if they really believe & can support what they believe. (Does that make sense?)

One of them is my HT. I know I can say anything & know that it will remain confidential.
One is a former Bishop of our ward.
One is a current Councilor in the Bishopric.
We may not always agree. But, we don't feel threatened because we ask a question.
Having said that, I don't have any illusions either.
If I started to advocate polygamy, somewhere it's going to get back to the Bishop, SP, etc.

This site has been great for me as a start to a process, but I really prefer talking with people face to face.
It has been a big comfort to find others in my ward that feel the same way I do.

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 26 Aug 2014, 18:01

That reminds me, Mike. Whenever you're in my town of Illinois, just let me. I would like to see in person. :smile:

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 26 Aug 2014, 19:58

I'll send you a PM.