How to Spot Possible Members of the "StayLds Ward?"

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
MockingJay

How to Spot Possible Members of the "StayLds Ward?"

Post by MockingJay » 11 Jan 2014, 07:17

I have 2 questions, but first, I was daydreaming earlier about how awesome it would be to have an actual physical, brick and mortar "StayLds" ward. Aaaahhhhhh ;) Oh well, one can dream.

Now the questions:
1. Do any of you have a way of recognizing others in your wards/stakes who may share the same feelings/attitudes as those on this site? All I'm aware of are people who are bitter and angry and hate the church, and there are plenty of those. I'm not interested in talking to them.

2. I do know of one guy in our ward who is doubting and has questions, but he doesn't know I know (someone spilled the beans to me.) I want to tell him about this site, but I don't know how to go about it since he doesn't know I know and the only one who knows about me is my husband. Wow, hope that sentence makes sense.

startpoor

Re: How to Spot Possible Members of the "StayLds Ward?"

Post by startpoor » 11 Jan 2014, 09:53

I have been doing just that since moving into my new ward. I have never watched people as closely as I do now. I don't know if anyone is actually part of staylds.com, but I slowly get a feel for those who may be feminists, or liberal, or well-read. I once heard my GD teacher say he had struggles with his testimony while researching history for certain lessons. I asked him about it later and it opened up the door for some very open candid discussions like the ones that go on here. I teach EQ so I listen to people's comments and try and strike up conversations afterward, without being overt about it. It is nice to have people to talk to about these things face to face. I recently found out there is a book club that members of the stake are in. It seems to be invite only and is a small group, but after talking to my dad about it, he said there is a club like that in his stake too. It made me wonder if there are clubs like this in many more stakes across the country. Keep looking, you may find some people to talk to after all.
Happiness (n.) The state of being in compliance with Mormon norms, regardless of one’s actual resulting emotional state

George, Sr.: Faith is a fact. No, faith is a facet. I almost said faith is a fact.

Daeruin

Post by Daeruin » 11 Jan 2014, 10:48

Just going off comments I've read here, you might watch for people who read their own material during the meetings, skip certain meetings, or attend irregularly.
"Not all those who wander are lost" —Tolkien

Ann

Post by Ann » 12 Jan 2014, 00:14

One of my resolutions this year is to be a little more forthcoming and authentic at church. Up to the present, I think I've been absolutely un-spottable. So, don't assume too much, I guess I'm saying, based on appearances or patterns of behavior.

If we here were a real ward, there would still be friction, divergence, etc. But I would love the chance to say hello and thank you.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

MockingJay

Post by MockingJay » 12 Jan 2014, 06:05

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll give them a try and report back.
If we here were a real ward, there would still be friction, divergence, etc. But I would love the chance to say hello and thank you.
I agree with this. It's true in any group, but at least we could be frank and open and not have to worry about being judged or ostracized. Maybe the church will move toward that someday. I tiny, tiny steps that way on rare occasions.

I would also love the chance to say thank you face-to-face.

mercyngrace

Post by mercyngrace » 12 Jan 2014, 06:40

I would love the chance to meet everyone, too. Is there a chance any of you are in North Carolina?
Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. ~ Luke 7:47

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 12 Jan 2014, 08:20

Like richdunn, I've learned to watch and listen to people. It's really interesting sometimes to hear what people don't say. I think there are actually many more people in my ward who questions and doubt, both active and not, than I ever would have thought a few years ago. I've also found that for the most part these people try to stay off the radar for whatever reason (but mostly I think they're ashamed or fearful because they think they're supposed to believe). I wonder if we could develop a sort of "gaydar?"
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 13 Jan 2014, 07:07

I used to make a hobby of this, and found quite a few people. It takes a certain amount of social risk, but it was far easier for others to open up when I was putting myself "out there" first. People knew I wasn't conventional, and I was always open about why my wife wasn't ever there (she left the church because she disagreed with history and doctrine, and that I supported her decision for herself).

I would make the unconventional comments in class, or point out the obvious paradoxes in the ideas being discussed in order to make the conversation go a little deeper. I would bring up outside view points when I taught classes (used to love teaching EQ and occasionally sub for Gospel Doctrine). People would find me later to talk more about those things. Or they would thank me for speaking up and saying what they wanted to say. NOTE: I didn't do that stuff all the time, and I always made sure to balance what I did with positive and uplifting comments. I tried hard to not be disruptive. It's important not to be argumentative. I would usually just throw something out there, and then back off to let people react and resolve the issues however they wanted.

Other than that, these were my radar signs:
-Guys who wouldn't wear ties and a white shirt.
-People who sat quietly in the back of the class and didn't participate much, but you could see them getting agitated at times.
-People who bring supplemental material to read in Sacrament Meeting or classes.
-People who raise questions about the lesson material that showed they really were thinking about things farther down the logical tree of implications.
-Part-member families, or people who aren't in traditional 1950's nuclear family arrangements.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 14 Jan 2014, 05:36

With the men it's easy... beards, long hair, and blue shirts. That and the VW badges hanging around their necks.

We also have secret special handshakes, but only the initiated get to receive those. (You know that room off the temple canteen no one goes into? that's where we meet lol)

[Admin note: Just to make it clear to non-Mormons who read and don't comment, Sam is joking in the last paragraph.]
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

cwald

Post by cwald » 15 Jan 2014, 22:01

Blue shirts.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby