StayLDS Ask-Me-Anything on Reddit

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
On Own Now

Re: StayLDS Ask-Me-Anything on Reddit

Post by On Own Now » 17 Jan 2014, 09:07

Is there a link to the actual AMA? I see the link to the announcement, but can't find the AMA.
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -

amertune

Post by amertune » 17 Jan 2014, 12:24

The actual AMA thread hasn't been posted yet, and probably won't be posted until it's scheduled to start. In any case, it will probably be stickied. If you just go to http://www.reddit.com/r/latterdaysaints tonight it should be at or near the top of the page.
The search for truth is in one way hard and in another way easy, for it is evident that no one can master it fully or miss it wholly. But each adds a little to our knowledge of nature, and from all the facts assembled there arises a certain grandeur. - Aristotle

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 17 Jan 2014, 13:29

Hmm... I'm on the fence.
Daeruin wrote:I just hope we don't get a flood of TBMs in here trying to "fix" us all. :o
That's my primary concern as well. I can already see some evidence of this in the link provided in the OP.
The wound is the place where the light enters you.
— Rumi

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 17 Jan 2014, 13:57

We have had it happen in the past with new participants, and we have managed it. Some have stayed for a while; others have left quite quickly; we have had to ban two that I can remember.

We will work through whatever happens.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 17 Jan 2014, 14:37

Another way to look at it is is that as the word spreads about StayLDS, yes, we will get some people try to break in that don't really belong. That's the downside. The upside is that we will also get more people that really need this site. I was on my own for so long that I hope no one has to feel that alone. It was such a Godsend to find this community. I wish everyone that is in our predicament could be made aware of this site. I think the upside is worth the downside, and then some.
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 17 Jan 2014, 14:58

Oh I agree. That's one of the main purposes of the event, right? That and helping others understand us better.

I wasn't very clear in my post. I was saying that I was on the fence on whether I wanted to participate in the event; to subject myself to a lot of TBM well meaningness.
The wound is the place where the light enters you.
— Rumi

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 17 Jan 2014, 15:09

Fwiw, I understand that concern totally, nibbler. If it's going to cause severe angst, not participating is fine.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 17 Jan 2014, 16:52

nibbler wrote:Hmm... I'm on the fence.
Daeruin wrote:I just hope we don't get a flood of TBMs in here trying to "fix" us all. :o
That's my primary concern as well. I can already see some evidence of this in the link provided in the OP.
With patience and thoughtfulness I think these can turn into productive discussions. We are sincere and pro-church, I think that will come out.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 17 Jan 2014, 22:59

I posted there a few minutes ago. It didn't seem like a huge draw of people. I couldn't see anything like About Redditt or About Us that described who runs the site. I hope my username and email address for my registration there doesn't result in blowing my cover.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

mercyngrace

Post by mercyngrace » 18 Jan 2014, 07:27

You know that old saying about the best laid plans...

At about 8:45 on my way to the computer to log into reddit, I flipped the porch light on for our oldest who was out with friends and sparks flew. A quick trip to Wal-Mart for a replacement switch turned into - 'oh yeah, the shower head fitting needs to be replaced' and 'are we out of bird food?' I got home in time to drop my husband off with material for four fix-it jobs and then to go pick my son up from an activity which ended at 10pm.

Story of a mother's life.

So... whaddidimiss?
Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. ~ Luke 7:47