StayLDS Ask-Me-Anything on Reddit

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Brian Johnston
Site Admin

StayLDS Ask-Me-Anything on Reddit

Post by Brian Johnston » 10 Jan 2014, 04:41

Hi everyone,

The folks in the pro-LDS sub-reddit are scheduling an AMA (ask me anything) event about our community. Here is the announcement thread:
http://www.reddit.com/r/latterdaysaints ... ma_friday/

I will be there answering questions, and hopefully as many of the other moderators as possible. It would be great to have others form here join in the discussion to share your views and experiences.

edit: just to be clear. That's the announcement of the AMA. As far as I understand how these things work, they will start a new thread for the actual AMA event. I'll post that when it opens up. Or just go to the sub-reddit and look for it.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

ihhi

Post by ihhi » 10 Jan 2014, 05:48

Thanks. I will be following that.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

DarkJedi

Re: StayLDS Ask-Me-Anything on Reddit

Post by DarkJedi » 10 Jan 2014, 06:08

I'd love to be there but my schedule is going to prevent it. I'll be sure to read, though.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 10 Jan 2014, 09:10

I would like to participate if I can make it, my wife may have other plans.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 10 Jan 2014, 10:25

It seems a lot like a discussion board: it unfolds over time. I will plan to be there live, for a while. But I imagine the discussion will go on over the course of many days.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 10 Jan 2014, 10:50

OK, so even though it's "live" it's not stuck to a time frame. In that case I should have some time to participate.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Daeruin

Post by Daeruin » 10 Jan 2014, 11:27

I might be able to come on for a little while, but not long. I just hope we don't get a flood of TBMs in here trying to "fix" us all. :o
"Not all those who wander are lost" —Tolkien

mom3

Post by mom3 » 10 Jan 2014, 12:28

Great job to everyone who has posted, Ray, Mercy, Brian - Good luck. I will be unable to participate, but you have my permission to use my status and comments if you need. Brian - it's nice to see you back, but I'm glad you stepped away for family. Well done.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

cwald

Post by cwald » 10 Jan 2014, 15:16

I am probably not the best guy to represent StayLDS.

I may pop in to see what is happening though.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

cwald

Post by cwald » 10 Jan 2014, 15:17

Daeruin wrote:I might be able to come on for a little while, but not long. I just hope we don't get a flood of TBMs in here trying to "fix" us all. :o
Exactly Daeruin. That is exactly what I thought when I read this OP. :smile:
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby