Has hastening the work become a gospel hobby?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
nibbler

Re: Has hastening the work become a gospel hobby?

Post by nibbler » 09 Jan 2014, 09:48

Thanks for that reminder Ray. I often lose sight of that.
It’s strange. When I couldn’t find the drop and the plague came, you seemed so far away I would not ever be able to find you again. But I know now that you were here all along, and that nothing, not the Black Death nor seven hundred years, nor death nor things to come nor any other creature could ever separate me from your caring and concern. It was with me every minute.
― Connie Willis , Doomsday Book

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 11 Jan 2014, 17:40

I went back to re-read the thread to make sure I could live with what I had posted in it and ran across this again:
QuestionAbound wrote:Our WML says (and I actually agree), if someone is antagonistic or doesn't even remember being baptized, remove their names from the church records. Bring them a letter to sign that says, "Get me the heck out of this organization." and simply be done with them. They know were we are if they change their minds, but after 50 years of yelling at ward members who approach their door, it's time to cut the line.
I think this directly relates to the sentiments I had coming out of my meeting. I've made comments like that a few times now and every time I've been met with what amounts to "we just need to love these people more." To some degree I believe that's what made me come out of the meeting feeling like I am deficient (and I know I am BTW, I haven't perfected love yet). I had subconsciously received the message that I was "giving up on someone" because I didn't love them enough.

Something for me to ponder.
It’s strange. When I couldn’t find the drop and the plague came, you seemed so far away I would not ever be able to find you again. But I know now that you were here all along, and that nothing, not the Black Death nor seven hundred years, nor death nor things to come nor any other creature could ever separate me from your caring and concern. It was with me every minute.

Shawn

Post by Shawn » 14 Jan 2014, 15:04

My wife pointed out to me that our stake was fasting to "hasten the work."

I asked, "What does that even mean?"

She replied, "I don't know."

Joni

Post by Joni » 14 Jan 2014, 15:58

Shawn wrote:My wife pointed out to me that our stake was fasting to "hasten the work."

I asked, "What does that even mean?"

She replied, "I don't know."
It seems like if the work is going to 'hasten' it's going to 'hasten' on the Lord's timeline and not ours. His ways are not our ways, after all. So go ahead and get yourself some Cheetos.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 15 Jan 2014, 06:10

As I've come to understand it through several discussions in various meetings in church:
Behold, I will hasten my work in its time.
It's been pointed out that we aren't the ones hastening the work; the verse says I, meaning the lord, will hasten the work. Again this is how it's been presented, the revelation portion is limited to the phrase "in its time," which has been interpreted to mean right now. Then we go about things as if we've been told that we will hasten the work.

I get the it... the lord is preparing people at an accelerated rate and we have to step up our efforts to keep abreast.
Last edited by nibbler on 28 Mar 2014, 04:57, edited 1 time in total.

Shawn

Post by Shawn » 15 Jan 2014, 09:56

Joni wrote:It seems like if the work is going to 'hasten' it's going to 'hasten' on the Lord's timeline and not ours. His ways are not our ways, after all. So go ahead and get yourself some Cheetos.
nibbler wrote:
Behold, I will hasten my work in its time.
It's been pointed out that we aren't the ones hastening the work; the verse says I, meaning the lord, will hasten the work. Again this is how it's been presented, the revelation portion is limited to the phrase "in its time," which has been interpreted to mean right now. Then we go about things as if we've been told that we will hasten the work.
Yeah, I've thought of this, too. It's up to the Lord. Do we even have the right to attempt to hasten the work?

On the other hand, the Lord accomplishes his work through his servants, so he could be inspiring leaders to promote this campaign. Just sayin.