Full of Angst on Saturday night

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Daeruin

Re: Full of Angst on Saturday night

Post by Daeruin » 22 Dec 2013, 20:11

There's immense social pressure to "fit in" at church. We're walking into a situation that we know is ripe for potential conflict. And we all know what your typical Mormon thinks of those who have "lost their light" so to speak. It's never fun to feel that you might be the object of those thoughts.
"Not all those who wander are lost" —Tolkien

mackay11

Full of Angst on Saturday night

Post by mackay11 » 23 Dec 2013, 00:54

I don't do it as often as I should but I sometimes try to attend church with a question, issue or role in mind.

E.g: "what can I learn to be a better father." There's usually at least one thing I pick up during the 3-hours that makes it feel like the time was worth it. Sometimes it's the talks/lessons I disagree with the most strongly that help to teach me (e.g. the way I don't want to be as a parent).

cwald

Post by cwald » 23 Dec 2013, 11:27

This is actually a good explanation of why I can't attend church.

Church was killing me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Harmony

Post by Harmony » 24 Dec 2013, 02:32

Cwald, I'm sorry that church was killing you. It seems like the opposite of what church should do for us. I wonder if it can become a haven again. I worry about going, but then worry about not going. If everyone in my family attended, i think it would be much easier for me to slip under the radar.

I'm sorry your experience was that bad. I wish it could be different.

MissEyre

Post by MissEyre » 24 Dec 2013, 10:11

I get the stomachache every weekend, too. It takes all week to undo the stomach knots from those three hours and then it starts all over. Thank goodness for the holidays that have offered a short, but much needed, respite.
“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.”
― Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 24 Dec 2013, 14:53

I'm really surprised so many people feel such angst. I am not criticizing, or invalidating it, but I think we see how far from helping us achieve the "object and design of our existence" -- happiness -- the culture can be.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 24 Dec 2013, 19:42

I think this illustrates why internal peace is so important.

It would be nice if it was easier to obtain, but it is the main objective, I think.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

conflicted testimony

Post by conflicted testimony » 26 Dec 2013, 07:16

I thought it was just me!

I have suffered bad headaches over the years, I have identified what I think are the causes (eye strain, neck strain, hormonal, stress, lack of sleep etc).

Since giving up taking the kids to seminary, they dropped off substantially - from every day to once every week or so. Since giving up church I have been almost headache free.

Harmony

Post by Harmony » 28 Dec 2013, 22:52

Ohhh, its Saturday night, and here it comes again. Anyone have any good meditation ideas? I need something to help lessen my anxiety.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 28 Dec 2013, 23:22

There is anti-anxiety medication.

It might be worth considering.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken