Looks like my name has come to the top of the list again

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Re: Looks like my name has come to the top of the list again

Post by Old-Timer »

Sounds like your Bishop is a good man. :thumbup:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Jazernorth wrote:
Old-Timer wrote:
Any tips on dealing with the question if it arises?
"Thank you. Will you offer it?"

or

"Thank you. I'd prefer to have you say it."
I have only once had someone take over as "head of household", they were asked to never come back. {except my Dad or Father-In-Law, though they "didn't take over", out of respect, I turned the option over to them}

When these questions come up, I look right back at the guy and say, "You pray, but keep it short." I don't really want the long drawn prayer/lecture. Usually they never really ask again.

The best way, I think, is how my current Bishop did it. He said "Is there anything you would like me to do before I leave?". I said nope, we are good. He left, no prayer. I could have said, yes, let's pray. He left it wide open for me to make that decision. Wish everyone would do it that way.
I don't expect this guy to attempt to take over. Like the other two visitors (bishop and HPGL), I have known this guy since I moved here over 20 years ago and he's a fairly gentle soul. I don't see him quite as TBM as the other two (and his wife definitely not), and we've actually never been friends or served in a calling together, so essentially we know each other socially from church. Of the other two visitors it was the HPGL who got the clue and didn't bring up prayer at the end, although the bishop's was short and simple (no praying for Brother Jedi to soften his heart and return to church, etc.). I just get anxiety about it because prayer is such a big part of my status and I really don't believe in prayer.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

So I had the visit today. It was much more low key than the previous two. So much so, in fact, that I wonder if it really was a "Rescue" visit. It was set up the same way as the other two (a phone call asking if he could come visit), but the whole thing was way different, more of a friendly chat about how I was, how is my missionary son doing, how's my daughter who lives away doing, who's coming for Christmas, etc. And no prayer. At the end it was "Nice chatting with you, we should have you over for dinner sometime."
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
Jazernorth

Post by Jazernorth »

Oh, maybe a check on the family thing, especially with missionaries out. They come by to see if you are doing well for Christmas and the winter, especially since you are forking out a lot of money for missionary(ies). This happens periodically to make sure the family isn't getting strapped by the "service".
Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness!
I will fight for all of them, will you join me?
http://www.jaynorth.net
oneinchpunch

Post by oneinchpunch »

Is it possible the visitor is your new home teacher? Sometimes the quorum shuffle up the home teachers. Maybe you have a new home teacher that is more reliable with that duty than the previous home teacher.