The hallway class

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Forgotten_Charity

Re: The hallway class

Post by Forgotten_Charity » 11 Dec 2013, 06:32

In my case, starting priesthood role is new. It's not done publicly. But rather I suppose to take it silently without drawing attention that I am doing it. It's not passed around. I print out a MLS sheet look at everyone and mark them down. Head to the church computer mark them in the system as having attended what weeks every month in EQ. Then send a email or print to the bishop. No one in EQ is even aware the role is being taken until you don't show and the EQ, bishop has a talk with you. That's why I feel weird about it. It makes me feel uncomfortable that I am doing it secretly, but it was defind as my job. Also my stayed job to tell on people leaving after sacrament or SS per instructions of SP. Can anyone tell me what I can do to better the situation? Positive feedback? I would like to feel better about my job and still help them without feeling dirty about treating people like little kids. It being asked to act like one. Any positive advice would be appreciated.

VikingCompass

Post by VikingCompass » 11 Dec 2013, 08:29

Forgotten_Charity wrote:In my case, starting priesthood role is new. It's not done publicly. But rather I suppose to take it silently without drawing attention that I am doing...Can anyone tell me what I can do to better the situation? Positive feedback? I would like to feel better about my job and still help them without feeling dirty about treating people like little kids. It being asked to act like one. Any positive advice would be appreciated.
If you don't do it you'll probably get landed on--well, more likely your EQP will get the hassle. Every secretary I've had simply passed the roll around with a pen and you marked yourself. This makes it an open behavior and folks can be responsible for themselves.

Jazernorth

Post by Jazernorth » 11 Dec 2013, 08:39

VikingCompass wrote:
Forgotten_Charity wrote:In my case, starting priesthood role is new. It's not done publicly. But rather I suppose to take it silently without drawing attention that I am doing...Can anyone tell me what I can do to better the situation? Positive feedback? I would like to feel better about my job and still help them without feeling dirty about treating people like little kids. It being asked to act like one. Any positive advice would be appreciated.
If you don't do it you'll probably get landed on--well, more likely your EQP will get the hassle. Every secretary I've had simply passed the roll around with a pen and you marked yourself. This makes it an open behavior and folks can be responsible for themselves.
And, people can "mark attendance" for those weeks that are blank....
I don't go to priesthood, I find the class useless for the most part. So my "attendance" is blank, all the way across the board.
Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness!
I will fight for all of them, will you join me?
http://www.jaynorth.net

VikingCompass

Post by VikingCompass » 11 Dec 2013, 09:28

Hey, no worries. The bandwidth of experience on this amazes me. I wonder how many "clandestine" rolls are out there. Again, my experience mirrors Forgotten_Charlie's complete with the interview issues.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 11 Dec 2013, 10:07

I hate to say this, but it is what it is. I really dislike anything like this that is done without people knowing about it. It just rubs me the wrong way. Also, do they count everyone who is serving in Primary as attending, because they should. Does the Bishopric get marked as absent from Sunday School if they hold interviews or other meetings during that time, because they should - if they are that serious about trying to passive-aggressively force attendance.

Suggestions? None except to express your uneasiness about doing it and letting the chips fall where they may, if you are comfortable doing that. If not, it isn't a harmful thing, in and of itself (taking role), so you might want to chalk this one up to stuff that has to be done for now regardless of how you feel about it - and use it as a learning experience if you ever find yourself in a situation to influence another similar discussion.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon » 11 Dec 2013, 10:31

VikingCompass wrote:Not taking roll isn't an option.
Yes it is for SS. In my current calling as ward clerk, I fill out the quarterly report. There is nothing on that report about SS attendance. There is sacrament meeting attendance, Priesthood/RS attendance, and primary. Some wards do take SS attendance, but it is only used internally, and not in any reports.

VikingCompass

Post by VikingCompass » 11 Dec 2013, 11:33

I'll agree that is now the case--but given regionalization and individual leadership style--what would you do if the stake asked for one? Or the STK SSP asked for them?

By this I mean there appears to be a pretty wide interpretation of how to handle taking roll and monitoring attendance.
Last edited by VikingCompass on 11 Dec 2013, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

Jazernorth

Post by Jazernorth » 11 Dec 2013, 11:37

VikingCompass wrote:I'll agree that is now the case--but given regionalization and individual leadership style--what would you do if the stake asked for one? Or the STK SSP asked for them?
Take my comment as my opinion .....

I would ask to be released. I wouldn't be able to do it.
Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness!
I will fight for all of them, will you join me?
http://www.jaynorth.net

VikingCompass

Post by VikingCompass » 11 Dec 2013, 11:41

Not looking to go down the rabbit hole but the STK SSP could currently be compiling reports from the Ward SST and you wouldn't know it. That line of authority doesn't require passing through you...

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 11 Dec 2013, 12:31

Jazernorth wrote:
VikingCompass wrote:I'll agree that is now the case--but given regionalization and individual leadership style--what would you do if the stake asked for one? Or the STK SSP asked for them?
Take my comment as my opinion .....

I would ask to be released. I wouldn't be able to do it.
Ditto. I'm really not comfortable with the clandestine nature you describe.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction