The hallway class

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Jazernorth

Re: The hallway class

Post by Jazernorth » 10 Dec 2013, 12:12

DarkJedi wrote:So they actually take attendance in PH, RS and SS? I know I've been out for awhile, but I'm not aware of attendance ever being taken in my ward other than the SM count (which we like to inflate as much as possible for budgetary purposes, hence the guy counts several times, including at the end and in the halls and uses the highest number).
Some do some don't. They are "supposed" to take role. Whatever, I say. Unless the SS Sec or SS Pres or ward clerk review the roles, they are just pieces of paper with people's names and check boxes. Last I saw, someone just counted the number of attendees. Didn't even care or look at "who" was there.
Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness!
I will fight for all of them, will you join me?
http://www.jaynorth.net

Forgotten_Charity

Post by Forgotten_Charity » 10 Dec 2013, 12:20

Ya there are different reasons. I understand them. They are legitimate. However the higher ups don't see it that way. My calling has me marking people down who skip or don't attend other classes. I don't like it but I don't want friction so I just let them know it's my job and it's really non of my or their business but it's my job. If you don't know already, part of the "rescue" program is collecting names of people that are not attending every class and presenting it to the bishop/high counsel. This includes all 3 class and your attendance.

So you will be on a roll sheet and marked as someone to keep track of if you do hallways for any class segment.

Not sure if it happening everywhere but I was told its part of the "rescue" program.

I'm at odds with this and feel immensely uncomfortable with it as does my spirit.

1 about once a month I usually end of crying inside which goes to full blown tears walking home, not at what people believe but because of how they act and programs that I know that have hurt people including myself get constantly pounded as if for your benefit. News flash, if it helps the person great, if it doesn't, do not proceed with it. It's flat out wrong to do so.
I have not been a part of the hallway pass ever. But I may join it if the constant praising of men, obedience, and we know better then you for yourself attitude and micromanaging isn't dismissed soon. I can't always fight back the tears on class sooner or later their will be conflict if I stay too long.

I will be joining the hall pass soon as a person that keeps track of them and other non attendees and skippers. Maybe I will find someone to finally talk and relate to. Who knows?'

Forgotten_Charity

Post by Forgotten_Charity » 10 Dec 2013, 12:26

Edit* I just read that marking down how much attended.

While that is true in sacrament, my job has exactly who is not by name attending or skipping classes. Especially those that leave after sacrament and bring to the bishops and HC attention.
As well as last HC visit, last fast and testimony(last bearing testimony), last talk given, last contact by fellowships and several other categories on the church sheet I was previously unaware of prior to the calling.

The express purpose was stated as being "So the bishop, SP or other attending authority can confront those people who try to leave after sacrament and for fill their convenient obligations to the church and to save them from the bad judgments of god for bit attending all your meetings which you promised to god when you joined the church or got confirmed the priesthood".

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 10 Dec 2013, 12:36

FC, the handbook says clearly that the only meeting "required" to attend in order to be considered an active member is Sacrament Meeting, and the report is monthly attendance. That's largely so the numbers are consistent across the Church, take into account schedules that don't allow weekly attendance and are not subject to measures like you describe. Anyone who pressures members to attend more than Sacrament Meeting is going beyond the directives in the handbook - but, unfortunately, we all know that people tend to equate more with better - and people want to be better and "help" others be better - and too few people really understand, "NO power or influence ought to be maintained by virtue of the Priesthood."

The word is "no" power, not "some power when you feel you are helping someone".

/end of rant
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

VikingCompass

Post by VikingCompass » 10 Dec 2013, 15:02

From the handbook, explaining SSSec:

"Ward Sunday School Secretary

If needed, the bishopric may call a brother to serve as ward Sunday School secretary. The secretary may be given the following responsibilities:

He consults with the presidency to prepare agendas for presidency meetings. He attends presidency meetings, takes notes, and keeps track of assignments.

He compiles attendance information and reviews it with the Sunday School president to help determine ways to encourage members to participate in Sunday School. Teachers should receive copies of this information."

I am interested to note the shift from mandatory roll. Every job I've had in charge of an auxiliary had official church forms YMP, SSP, and EQP, all used to require a signed report complete with attendance. I like the change. I had a stake SSP who would call me at home and get angry if it wasn't in by the second Sunday. EQP reports were due by the tenth of the next month and the Ward Clerk would chew on you for them...

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 10 Dec 2013, 15:16

Also, I don't know if I've ever seen a roll used in a Melchizedek Priesthood meeting (maybe, but I can't remember, given my advanced age :P ) - and it's been a long time since I've seen a roll used in Gospel Doctrine class.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 10 Dec 2013, 15:44

I've seen a roll passed in SS a few times but not in a long long time.

I've seen rolls being passed in priesthood meetings all the time. You wouldn't even have to show up on strategic Sundays to fly under the radar, they passed a 3 month roll around, you could show up once and do a lot of checking next to dates.

The funny thing is that during the time I was teaching in EQ I never got the roll. I was in front of the group giving the lesson. I suppose I was inactive during that period. :think: No one was checking my name off each Sunday. I'd occasionally see the roll and there I was... inactive. ;)

I was always under the impression that it wasn't so much the who but the purpose of the roll was the how many. Like a stake or ward that is a slave to the numbers for a short duration because they are trying to make the case to split into a new stake/ward. That said I think they only report SM numbers for that sort of thing. Active priesthood holders may also come into play somewhere there as well.

Back to some of the experiences shared. I'm not going to mince words... a lot of that sounds like elementary school. Seriously doesn't seem to be any way to treat adults.

VikingCompass

Post by VikingCompass » 10 Dec 2013, 19:55

What I'm finding really curious is the idea that I held many leadership positions before the new handbook. I'm comfortable things have changed but I wonder now if the strict policies I encountered weren't a reflection of an extremely conservative stake that was holding tightly to antiquated structure.

Autocorrect is Skynets way of saying, Hello!
Last edited by VikingCompass on 11 Dec 2013, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 10 Dec 2013, 22:20

I think that's the case. Lots of people, inside and outside the Church, have a hard time letting go of the way they learned how to do things when changes are made.

Canucknuckle

Post by Canucknuckle » 10 Dec 2013, 23:33

This is one thing that drives me crazy with the church. Are we not adults? Do we somehow not know where the classroom is? I suspect not. Then clearly we are choosing not to be there.

I had this exact discussion with my DW on Sunday. I was waiting to go in and listen to my son give a talk in Primary when the Bishop walked by and asked why I wasn't in class. I told him why. He response was along the lines of, " oh, that's a valid reason." But I could tell from his body language that he was not happy that I wasn't in priesthood.

The way I figure it is I'm 40, hold 3 university degrees, been a member for about 21 years, and by all accounts I am functioning as a competent husband and father. I'm more that capable of making choices for myself. I am not a child. If I want to, or feel the need to, go to class, I will.

I told my DW, that if the pressure to go to class increases then I will start going home after SM (since we are currently taking 2 vehicles). I simply don't need to be treated as a subordinate and with what I consider to be disrespect.