The hallway class

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
angel333

The hallway class

Post by angel333 » 10 Dec 2013, 03:51

I have become part of the Forum/Hallway class during sunday school and relief society.I often wondered why people did this. Now I begin to wonder if they are having the same feelings as I do. We had a Bishopbric member get on to us last sunday about not going to class and hanging in the hallways.He has no clue how close I am to just going home after sacrament meeting and not even staying at all. I am trying so hard to stay but I cry a lot at church more so than any other place. I dread it because I know how horrible it makes me feel.The sad part is I WANT to belong.I WANT it to be true I WANT to be a part of it all but life experiences are proving that it may not all be what I thought it was all these years and i hurt because of that.

DarkJedi

Re: The hallway class

Post by DarkJedi » 10 Dec 2013, 04:17

Some people are out there to socialize and some are there because of issues. It's pretty easy in our ward to tell who is who. Remember you're a volunteer and your there voluntarily. No one can "make" you go to SS or RS. If it's like our ward there are likely some people sitting in their cars as well. They do this to avoid others harassing them.

I understand your wants, and I think others here struggle with these same things. I have spent many years wanting some aspects of church doctrine to actually be true, but alas the only conclusion I can come to based on experience is that they are not. I am at the point where I can get past that, but I still wish some of that were true. Please don't blow this out of proportion, I do believe most of what the church teaches, but there are a few things that I no longer believe. Pres. Uchtdorf's talk has been important to me in getting to the point I'm at.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

angel333

Post by angel333 » 10 Dec 2013, 06:06

DarkJedi,Where can I find this talk? Im like you.I believe a lot but there are some things I don't believe in anymore.Like I said .Lifetime experiences changed a lot for me.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 10 Dec 2013, 10:49

"Don't blow this out of proportion."

This.

It hurts to know that the hallway class is the only good option for some people in some wards, and I hope it changes for you at some point.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

angel333

Post by angel333 » 10 Dec 2013, 11:32

You have no idea how much I want it to change.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 10 Dec 2013, 11:33

angel333 wrote:DarkJedi,Where can I find this talk? Im like you.I believe a lot but there are some things I don't believe in anymore.Like I said .Lifetime experiences changed a lot for me.
Here you go: http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2 ... in-with-us

You might want to share a copy with your bishopric in case they missed it.... (The good part is down the page a bit.)

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

VikingCompass

Post by VikingCompass » 10 Dec 2013, 11:46

When I was SSPres I got heat from the PEC and Ward Council to clean out the hallway and get folks to class. My personal read was let them hang out, at least they're here. That strategy didn't sell. We wound up "calling" people to attend family history and gospel essentials class. A member of rhe bishopric would call you in, extend the calling, send you down the hall. Nobody ever was set apart but the call was presented as a "real calling". This is how we populated the Family History, Relations and Gospel Essentials...

Unfortunately assigning members creates a class full of folks who don't want to be there...things didn't work out and now our Bishopric understands this is a losing strategy.

I was actually in the meeting where we discussed the fact that my wife wasn't attending SS or RS and "solved" it by calling her to the library so she could be there and her attendance could be counted. If someone misses every meeting during a mouth their name has to go on that auxiliaries report that goes to the stake. When I was EQP I realized that there were savvy Elders who would attend the first meeting of one month and than the last Sunday of the next--thus keeping themselves under the radar. And clear of class for a six week run.

I now realize that folks in the hallway attend for an important reason: fellowship. Potentially uncomfortable in classes they find like minded folks in the hallway and enjoy fellowship there.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 10 Dec 2013, 12:03

VikingCompass wrote:When I was SSPres I got heat from the PEC and Ward Council to clean out the hallway and get folks to class. My personal read was let them hang out, at least they're here. That strategy didn't sell. We wound up "calling" people to attend family history and gospel essentials class. A member of rhe bishopric would call you in, extend the calling, send you down the hall. Nobody ever was set apart but the call was presented as a "real calling". This is how we populated the Family History, Relations and Gospel Essentials...

Unfortunately assigning members creates a class full of folks who don't want to be there...things didn't work out and now our Bishopric understands this is a losing strategy.

I was actually in the meeting where we discussed the fact that my wife wasn't attending SS or RS and "solved" it by calling her to the library so she could be there and her attendance could be counted. If someone misses every meeting during a mouth their name has to go on that auxiliaries report that goes to the stake. When I was EQP I realized that there were savvy Elders who would attend the first meeting of one month and than the last Sunday of the next--thus keeping themselves under the radar. And clear of class for a six week run.

I now realize that folks in the hallway attend for an important reason: fellowship. Potentially uncomfortable in classes they find like minded folks in the hallway and enjoy fellowship there.
So they actually take attendance in PH, RS and SS? I know I've been out for awhile, but I'm not aware of attendance ever being taken in my ward other than the SM count (which we like to inflate as much as possible for budgetary purposes, hence the guy counts several times, including at the end and in the halls and uses the highest number).

My Introduction

Jazernorth

Post by Jazernorth » 10 Dec 2013, 12:07

angel333 wrote:I have become part of the Forum/Hallway class during sunday school and relief society.I often wondered why people did this. Now I begin to wonder if they are having the same feelings as I do. We had a Bishopbric member get on to us last sunday about not going to class and hanging in the hallways.He has no clue how close I am to just going home after sacrament meeting and not even staying at all. I am trying so hard to stay but I cry a lot at church more so than any other place. I dread it because I know how horrible it makes me feel.The sad part is I WANT to belong.I WANT it to be true I WANT to be a part of it all but life experiences are proving that it may not all be what I thought it was all these years and i hurt because of that.
{I Chuckle}
I've been there! I'm stubborn enough that when the Bishopric member said nearly the same thing to me, that I said "Would you rather me here in the halls or in the bar down the street?". He squirmed, because he knew I would do it. We have since moved from that ward, and with the new ward I leave after Sacrament meeting. My wife and child know I leave, and my wife was a bit hurt over it, but then she figured out that my church attendance does not reflect on my love for her. Now she couldn't care less if I stay.

I used to attend the Gospel Principles class, which was, to me, the best class. Now they have the Gospel Essential, if taught at all, and it just isn't the same. They want me to go preach the gospel. Yeah, Right! So I go home instead.
Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness!
I will fight for all of them, will you join me?
http://www.jaynorth.net

VikingCompass

Post by VikingCompass » 10 Dec 2013, 12:09

Not taking roll isn't an option.