Mormon.org profiles

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Mormon.org profiles

Post by DarkJedi » 13 Oct 2013, 08:13

Just curious, do any of you have Mormon.org profiles? If you do, why? Are you able to somewhat openly participate there?

I know that many of us enjoy the anonymity of this site, and I'm not asking you to divulge your identity if that is the case - I am one of you and would not divulge my own identity.

(FWIW, my son who is leaving on his mission is supposed to create a profile. He started but hasn't finished it because he doesn't like the questions it asks, etc. Interestingly, because he is fairly TBM, he does see it as the church trying to appear as something it really isn't and that the whole purpose of the site is to bring it to the top when one Googles Mormon.)
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Mormon.org profiles

Post by Curt Sunshine » 13 Oct 2013, 10:24

I don't have one, but my wife and I have talked about it and probably will soon.

Fwiw, I see it as the Church trying to appear as it actually is - much more diverse world-wide than appears when looking at the Intermountain West Mormon corridor. I think it fits well into the messages of diversity that are being preached more and more, and I think it has the potential to help members as much as, if not more than, non-members.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 13 Oct 2013, 12:25

After the backlash I've received from TBM sites for what others (some on this site) have described as moderate comments, I have little or no desire to go onto that site and create a profile. At this point in my life, I do not feel proud of the fact that I am a Mormon.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 13 Oct 2013, 15:56

Ray Degraw wrote:I don't have one, but my wife and I have talked about it and probably will soon.

Fwiw, I see it as the Church trying to appear as it actually is - much more diverse world-wide than appears when looking at the Intermountain West Mormon corridor. I think it fits well into the messages of diversity that are being preached more and more, and I think it has the potential to help members as much as, if not more than, non-members.
I agree, Ray, that it does show ethnic/cultural/racial diversity and attempts to shed the Utah Mormon stereotype as do those "I'm a Mormon" ads, which are similar. However, I don't think this really shows the diversity of thought in the church - I'm betting if any of us who are a bit more than unorthodox tried to post our true views there it would be "moderated." I'm pretty sure that if mine were "I'm a Premier League soccer player and a historian who knows Joseph Smith was not a prophet, and I'm a Mormon" it wouldn't make it.

Although I agree with him, the initial comment came from my almost missionary son who is not fully aware of exactly how unorthodox I am. We had not ever had a discussion before relating to diversity of thought or otherwise in the church.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Alex

Post by Alex » 13 Oct 2013, 22:15

I don't have a profile and I don't plan to create one. Our ward mission leader has asked us (the priesthood body as a whole) to create one, but I'm not going to. I'm somewhat of a public figure in our area and I want a separation of my private life from my public life; a public profile on Mormon.org would be conflated by many with my other public profile.
I love that man better who swears a stream as long as my arm, and administering to the poor and dividing his substance, than the long smooth faced hypocrites. I don't want you to think I am very righteous, for I am not very righteous. God judgeth men according to the light he gives them. (Words of Joseph Smith, p. 204 – May 18, 1843)

Jazernorth

Post by Jazernorth » 14 Oct 2013, 06:51

I may have created on years ago when it first came out. I don't remember where it is, what is on it, or anything like that. old data fursure.
Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness!
I will fight for all of them, will you join me?
http://www.jaynorth.net

HiJolly

Post by HiJolly » 14 Oct 2013, 12:09

I don't recall how many years ago I entered this - but I do know I've edited it fairly recently: http://mormon.org/me/1RW1/CliffB
Men are not moved by events but by their interpretations.
-- The Stoic Epictetus

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 14 Oct 2013, 14:21

I love this:
My testimony is that the LDS Church is not so much true in the sense of how *men* think it ought to be, but rather in the sense that it is TRUE as an arrow is true -- perfectly functional in obtaining its purpose, in fulfilling its sacred design.
...and how it leaves open the concept that even flaws in the church can contribute to it fulfilling its ultimate purpose - and thus allowing it to be "true."
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 14 Oct 2013, 15:05

I don't have one.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Ann

Post by Ann » 14 Oct 2013, 16:42

I don't, and probably wouldn't have done it before all this, either. Just not inclined. If I were asked point-blank, I would give it more thought.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11