August 31, 1963: Fifty years later

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
wayfarer

August 31, 1963: Fifty years later

Post by wayfarer » 28 Aug 2013, 13:38

I have heard John Shelby Spong refer to Martin Luther King as a Prophet. I agree.

Here are my feelings about today, and something that is very critical in my faith journey:

Wayfaring Fool on 31-Aug-2013
"Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak." Lao Tzu.
My seat in the bloggernacle: http://wayfaringfool.blogspot.com

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: August 31, 1963: Fifty years later

Post by Curt Sunshine » 28 Aug 2013, 15:16

Absolutely agree. Another obviously flawed but inspired man speaking the word of God.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

GBSmith

Post by GBSmith » 28 Aug 2013, 16:22

I think some in the church might agree but if a person can't claim to be a seer and a revelator, it's likely they'll be given a second class status in people's minds.

Roy

Post by Roy » 28 Aug 2013, 16:27

GBSmith wrote:I think some in the church might agree but if a person can't claim to be a seer and a revelator, it's likely they'll be given a second class status in people's minds.
I agree but OTOH, I don't think that any modern prophet since JS has claimed the gift of a seer.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Kumahito

Post by Kumahito » 28 Aug 2013, 20:42

Interesting that both King with his speech and JS with the BoM filed for copyright protection, and used actual litigation and the threat of litigation to keep people from reprinting or broadcasting the material. I've never seen the entirety of the "I Have A Dream" speech, and I doubt many of you have, either, unless you've paid the $20 to the King Foundation for a copy. On TV, documentaries, etc., all you'll see are little snippets, because the broadcasters don't want to be sued again (both CBS and Fox have been successfully sued for showing too much of the speech). For that reason, I'm not sure where to rank it in the great speeches of American history - I've read the Getysburg address, seen FDR's speech on 8 December 1941, and read GW's inaugural addresses, but haven't seen this one. It's a shame. :thumbdown:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... story.html
"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all."
- Oscar Wilde

Meh Mormon

Post by Meh Mormon » 29 Aug 2013, 11:45

wayfarer wrote:I have heard John Shelby Spong refer to Martin Luther King as a Prophet. I agree.

Here are my feelings about today, and something that is very critical in my faith journey:

Wayfaring Fool on 31-Aug-2013
I would agree. The title of Prophet is not exclusive to Mormonism. There have been many prophets over the years, from many different cultures.

My wife thinks that C.S. Lewis was inspired, which in my eyes, makes him a prophet. Anyone who is inspired to try and change man for the better and bring him closer to God, can be considered a Prophet. At least in my eyes.