Mormonism, if understood, is Universalism

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
wayfarer

Re: Mormonism, if understood, is Universalism

Post by wayfarer » 28 Aug 2013, 14:15

Ray Degraw wrote:
So, question. What are the 14 F's people keep talking about?

The 14 Fundamentals - something that should be burned, buried and forgotten. In other words, don't ask. :twisted:
Best not to ask because someone here has a very visceral reaction to the 14F...
cwald wrote:The 14 Fs, represents the worst of the worst when it comes to religion. Unfortunately they are alive and well in the LDS Church since October 2010 GC.

A research here will pull up several threads.
and !voila! :-)

i love you cwald, but i agree with Ray...in one ear and out the other.. or "screw them if they can't take a joke"...

i love, LOVE mercyngrace's response above!!!
"Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak." Lao Tzu.
My seat in the bloggernacle: http://wayfaringfool.blogspot.com

mackay11

Mormonism, if understood, is Universalism

Post by mackay11 » 28 Aug 2013, 23:12

mercyngrace, thanks for the fantastic post. You've epitomised why I love this community so much.

Ruthiechan

Post by Ruthiechan » 29 Aug 2013, 16:33

Oh. I just found them. Yeah, some of them I take great issue with. And others are great in theory but in practice? Not so great. . .

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 29 Aug 2013, 20:31

Ruthiechan wrote:Oh. I just found them. Yeah, some of them I take great issue with. And others are great in theory but in practice? Not so great. . .
I said this in another post, but I'm not even sure I'm a 1 F kind of guy.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 29 Aug 2013, 22:20

I think Elder Benson envied Elder Maxwell and was looking for a way to include some alliteration in his talk. 4 Fundamentals didn't take his entire time allocation, so he added 10 more to get to 14 Fundamentals. Afterward, I think he realized he'd stretched the point beyond recognition, so he never tried something like that again.

Yeah, that's what I think. Yeah, that's it. Yeah. yeah. yea . . . ye . . . y . . .
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken